Occasional Contributor

Do any of you Ladies have problems with hair tangling after washing? I have thick fine highlighted hair and is in good condition but when I shampoo it is tangle city.....I use good conditioners and the ones that half way work are too heavy for my hair leaving it limp. SO PLEASE HELP WITH ANY HINTS.

Contributor

Hi pixi. My daughter's hair tangles very easily like yours but, since she has been using Wen, she has a far easier time combing her hair while it's wet. Her hair is fine and color treated too. She wouldn't be without Wen.

Frequent Contributor
My daughter has really long hair and it tangles so badly after washing. She uses a tangle teaser brush afterwards....it works so wonderfully. Before brushing she uses alterna oil spray...it never makes her hair greasy no matter how much she uses, it just really releases tangles nicely and smooths the hair. We've also had great results with Its A 10 spray. BTW the tangle teaser brush costs about $10 and can be found at Target and Ulta....I'm not sure about other stores. I think the brush makes the biggest difference in her tangles.
Respected Contributor
On 7/21/2014 MaggieOla said: My daughter has really long hair and it tangles so badly after washing. She uses a tangle teaser brush afterwards....it works so wonderfully. Before brushing she uses alterna oil spray...it never makes her hair greasy no matter how much she uses, it just really releases tangles nicely and smooths the hair. We've also had great results with Its A 10 spray. BTW the tangle teaser brush costs about $10 and can be found at Target and Ulta....I'm not sure about other stores. I think the brush makes the biggest difference in her tangles.

I do this as well. Those are great sprays and the tangle teaser is great.Smiley Happy Just remember to be gentle. Wet hair is easy to damage with a comb or brush.

••• Please adopt don't shop ••• Save a life adopt a pet •••
Frequent Contributor

Rather than using a rinse out conditioner, I use a spray conditioner only on the bottom half of the hair strands and then comb the hair from the ends toward the scalp with a wide tooth comb made for combing out wet hair. I try to avoid conditioners that contain silicones because they build up on the hair shaft and give you problems later on.

Respected Contributor
Even if you did not want to switch to using WEN cleansing conditioners you could use the WEN kids detangling spray. It really works. You kist your hair and then rub a knot between two fingers and it releases. However, after after misting you probably wouldn't have much of that anyway.
Happy WEN Girl since 1/12/2012
Respected Contributor

Also Paul Mitchell's "The Detangler".. Boy does that product ever work! It's an oldie but goodie.

I use a spray conditioner/detangler by Acure Organics which works beautifully with no silicones.

I wonder if a vinegar rinse helps with detangling... Hmmm. I know my mom used it on my hair as a young kid. I had super thick naturally curly hair that tangled so badly there was no way on God's green earth to even begin to get comb through it.

She always cleansed my hair in the kitchen sink... & vinegar was always her last step-- so I'm thinking she may have used to tackle my tangles.

When I use Wen it pretty much does away with all tangles.

Many of the leave-in sprays & oils like Alterna, are loaded with 'cones which build up in your hair. If you don't mind that, it's an option. Just be sure to use a clarifying shampoo weekly.

Honored Contributor

I have this problem as well. I use a spray-on detangler product meant for children. It is a generic version I found in CVS and it works wonderfully! Just look in the section where they sell bathing products for children, such as lotion, shampoo, etc., in most drugstores. I spray this stuff on, kind of make sure my hair is really saturated and then use a comb with wide teeth and begin combing gently from the ends up. No more pain or ripped out strands!!!

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Regular Contributor

Hi pixi

My daughter has your hair type and the same problem with mega tangles after shampooing. We tried a bunch of different conditioners and spray detanglers -- drug store and high end - and none really helped. For her, it was the shampoo step that was creating or exacerbating all of the tangles so replacing her shampoo with a Wen cleansing conditioner made a world of difference and she now combs through her hair pretty easily after the cleanse. She likes the tea tree and almond mint formulas. In the warmer months, she does have to clarify now and again with a conventional shampoo to avoid build-up. Hope you find something that works.

Super Contributor

Brush or comb your hair well before cleansing if you don't now, and use a scalp massager during cleansing (its an oval shaped thingy that has short thick knobs on it, takes the place of using your finger tips, can find at most drug stores and retailers) then using the massager comb wet hair out a bit before leaving shower. It also helps to not twist and wrap hair into an updo in a towel to dry, rather leave hair down and squeeze with a towel. My hair used to be very long and tangled easily but this method worked for me. Add a leave-in conditioner as others here mentioned and there ya go!

I also find my hair is easier to comb after a cleansing if I use just a tiny tiny amount of the conditioner I get with my boxed hair color, just a small dab smoothed over (I don't even have to 'work' it in) then rinsed well helps and my hair is so soft. I do this even tho I use a CC and not shampoo.