Esteemed Contributor
Sorry for the OT but I'm curious how others feel. Where I live my area has changed quite a bit in the past few years. Older neighbors passing on and their families selling houses. New people moving in from neighboring states and moving out within a few months. You don't know your neighbors anymore. I'm in a small city where everyone knew everyone at one time. It's gotten to the point that you cannot walk down to the corner store in the dark and during the day you have to be alert. How is it where you live and how cautious are you? Have you taken a self defense class? Do you carry pepper spray? If something happened would you fight back?
Super Contributor

Re: Ot/ how cautious are you?

I live in a relatively rural area with a low crime rate. I've never taken a self-defense class (other than some martial arts in college, lol), and I don't carry pepper spray or other weapons. As far as "fighting back", it would depend on the situation, of course.

Valued Contributor

I live in suburban Florida. I have a profession where I tend to make people unhappy. I am considering getting a concealed weapon permit, quite frankly. Many people whom I know have already done so.

Honored Contributor

I live in a very safe suburban community where you rarely hear about any crime but I'm always a bit cautious. I've always been this way.

However I worry everyday about both of my kids living in their ""up & coming"" neighborhoods in Philly! Young professional 20 somethings love living in the city and the close major city is Philadelphia...but I don't think it's so great! Too much crime!

Super Contributor

On 7/20/2014 Wen Woman said:

I live in suburban Florida. I have a profession where I tend to make people unhappy. I am considering getting a concealed weapon permit, quite frankly. Many people whom I know have already done so.

LOL, I had to laugh at this!

Respected Contributor

I'm always alert to my surroundings. I live in a very safe area but I do live in a large city with an accompanying city crime rate. Two dogs who sound mean as he*lhounds when anyone thinks about stepping into the yard. Shhh, don't tell, they'd give away all the silver for an ear scratch and a nice treat.
Esteemed Contributor

I too have been thinking about a gun permit for awhile now. I had something stolen from my porch a few weeks ago and it creeps me out because it was a foot from my bedroom window and I don't think it was kids.
Respected Contributor

Much more cautious that I was 10 yrs ago!!! I used to be out/about all hrs of the night, not anymore!! There is too much going on. I live in small town & we have been having a rash of burglaries & prowlers in our neighborhood. I lock up, pull shades & sleep with my gun within inches of me at all times now.

Super Contributor

On 7/20/2014 beaches21 said: I too have been thinking about a gun permit for awhile now. I had something stolen from my porch a few weeks ago and it creeps me out because it was a foot from my bedroom window and I don't think it was kids.

What makes you say that?

Honored Contributor

we are in a safe neighborhood but I don't feel safe going to or from my car after dark at malls or stores so I try to avoid it...or don't go alone if possible