New Contributor

What have you found to help get rid of sun/age spots?

Who can recommend the best product to get rid of sun/age spots? Other wise I have a pretty good complexion. I am 52 brown hair and eyes. I use sunscreen 50 but I live in Denver and the sun is severe. I have some age/sun spots I would really like to lessen. Any advice?

Super Contributor

Re: What have you found to help get rid of sun/age spots?

Please read the ASDM post, several of the ladies have hyperpigmentation which requires pretty much the same treatment. They have posted what they are using and what is working for them. I know that good skin care helps as well as a retin-a/retinol product in conjunction with a lightening cream. Vitamin C is also a good product to use as well as heavy duty sunscreen. I have vitiligo which gives me spots but they are my normal pigment and the rest of my pigment is gone. So I use a bleach script and retin-a. Several of us swear by the microderm cream which is quite amazing. It's a good post because we talk about products to cover hyperpigmentation and what sunscreens are the best to use.

Respected Contributor

Nadolina is very good, and cheap In drugstores). Also, fresh lemons applied to the skin. Both take a few weeks, 2x a day...then a high spf.

Respected Contributor

The very best product I've found for this I purchased on ebay. It's POP Popular facial cream beauty white with Papaya extract. Cost about $4 plus shipping. I just paint it on spots with a lip brush twice a day. Took about 2-3 months but my hand spots are totally GONE. I think the Papaya extract is the secret ingredient that makes it work. I purchased it first because of the extract to use on bee and wasp stings. Works great for that too.

Valued Contributor

On 7/20/2014 Katluvr58 said:

Please read the ASDM post, several of the ladies have hyperpigmentation which requires pretty much the same treatment. They have posted what they are using and what is working for them. I know that good skin care helps as well as a retin-a/retinol product in conjunction with a lightening cream. Vitamin C is also a good product to use as well as heavy duty sunscreen. I have vitiligo which gives me spots but they are my normal pigment and the rest of my pigment is gone. So I use a bleach script and retin-a. Several of us swear by the microderm cream which is quite amazing. It's a good post because we talk about products to cover hyperpigmentation and what sunscreens are the best to use.

Interesting topic! ASDM post?? Can't seem to find it!

Super Contributor

On 7/21/2014 jump4joy said:
On 7/20/2014 Katluvr58 said:

Interesting topic! ASDM post?? Can't seem to find it!

We're posting under the ASDM sale info thread. Our other one got poofed:-(

OP - I saw good results with the ASDM Beverly Hills lightening kit. You get their microdermabrasion cream, vitamin c serum and lightening cream. This trio really helped even out my complexion and it did get rid of some of my spots. I have added in a genetic product fro Triluma called Melacare Forte and a .1% Retin-a gel to help get rid of my darkest spots that are being really stubborn.

Super Contributor

On 7/21/2014 silkyk said:

The very best product I've found for this I purchased on ebay. It's POP Popular facial cream beauty white with Papaya extract. Cost about $4 plus shipping. I just paint it on spots with a lip brush twice a day. Took about 2-3 months but my hand spots are totally GONE. I think the Papaya extract is the secret ingredient that makes it work. I purchased it first because of the extract to use on bee and wasp stings. Works great for that too.

Thanks -- hadn't heard of it. I'm currently using Melacare Forte (same thing as myshell) which has 4% hydroquinone and 0.025% tretinoin -- Retin-A). After I finish my tube, I'm going to just do a gentler approach (as I up my Retin-A strength). I'll check this out and compare it to ASDM's lightening creams. Thanks!!

Super Contributor

On 7/21/2014 Dazlin said:

Nadolina is very good, and cheap In drugstores). Also, fresh lemons applied to the skin. Both take a few weeks, 2x a day...then a high spf.

I've been using Nadinola for the last 9 days (I think). So far, I haven't noticed any fading of my major sunspots, melasma, etc. However, the directions state that it can take up to 3 months to see maximum results.

I will say, however, that my skin's overall clarity has significantly improved within this short time. I can't specifically point out what marks have faded, or where specifically they have disappeared from - but my overall skin tone is much more even.

Respected Contributor

Nu Derm Clear Fx Skin Brightening Cream

The Bottom Line

Nu Derm Clear is part of the Obagi Nu Derm System which comes with additional products to help with hyperpigmentation. Because Nu Derm Clear uses hydroquinone, it is recommended for pigmentation that doesn't respond to natural ingredients like arbutin and kojic acid. We would suggest trying Nu Derm if you have had zero luck with other products and if you are under the supervision of a doctor.
I would recommend this product or other products from this line. I have used products by Obagi in the past and have had good results. Although, consulting a doctor is probably a good idea since they may be able to prescribe something that will work better than any product that you can find on the internet.
Super Contributor

On 7/21/2014 Dazlin said:

Nadinola. Just in case anyone wanted to look it up and can't find it.