Valued Contributor

Paula's Choice 1% Retinol vs. Retin-A .05

Hi all!

I just emailed Paula's Choice with this question but wanted to hear some opinions here. I currently use Retin-A .05 three times a week. Would the Paula's 1% give comparable results if used daily? Her product has the equivalent of .02 tretinoin. I was thinking of making the switch because the ingredient deck is impressive and was interested in peptides. I didn't want to buy another product just for peptides as I like keeping my routine simple.

Here is my current routine:

AM

PC Skin Recovery Cleanser, Skin Recover toner, vitamin c serum mixed with Resist anti ox serum, Resist SPF 25

PM

Cleanse, tone, anti ox serum, Retin-A, Skin Recovery moisturizer

Thanks for any advice, I'd really appreciate it.

Super Contributor

Re: Paula's Choice 1% Retinol vs. Retin-A .05

I'm not a PC person, but I can only imagine their customer service recommending only their products.

I hope there's someone on BB that has tried both and can give you a unbiased opinion.

Honored Contributor

I'll be interested in what PC's CS replies to you. I found this on her website under the FAQ for the 1% retinol:

This product contains retinol, which is weaker than prescription retinoids but, over time, produces comparable anti-aging and anti-acne results. A prescription retinoid may produce faster results, but it does so with the added risk of side effects like redness, flaking, and increased sensitivity.

A product with 1% retinol is more comparable to a prescription retinoid with 0.02 tretinoin (the active ingredient in Renova and Retin-A).

As with most well formulated anti-aging products, consistent use and daily sun protection will produce the best results.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Valued Contributor

On 7/20/2014 NickNack said:

I'll be interested in what PC's CS replies to you. I found this on her website under the FAQ for the 1% retinol:

A prescription retinoid may produce faster results, but it does so with the added risk of side effects like redness, flaking, and increased sensitivity.

This is another reason why I'm thinking of making the switch. Right now my skin is fine. Wintertime is a different story. I never had a problem before with Retin A but the last couple of years my skin was wrecked in the colder months. I find that the older I get the drier my skin seems to be getting. Warmer weather is no problem (I live in the desert so we have more warmer that colder). Maybe I'll do Retin A in the warmer months and retinol in the cooler weather. I think that may be a good option for me.

Regular Contributor

On 7/20/2014 Tsukiko said:
On 7/20/2014 NickNack said:

A prescription retinoid may produce faster results, but it does so with the added risk of side effects like redness, flaking, and increased sensitivity.<br /> <br /> <br />

This is another reason why I'm thinking of making the switch. Right now my skin is fine. Wintertime is a different story. I never had a problem before with Retin A but the last couple of years my skin was wrecked in the colder months. I find that the older I get the drier my skin seems to be getting. Warmer weather is no problem (I live in the desert so we have more warmer that colder). Maybe I'll do Retin A in the warmer months and retinol in the cooler weather. I think that may be a good option for me.

IMO, this is the right idea. Try one in the warmer months and the other when it is cooler.

Honored Contributor

On 7/20/2014 Tsukiko said:
Maybe I'll do Retin A in the warmer months and retinol in the cooler weather. I think that may be a good option for me.

I think that sounds like a good idea.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Valued Contributor

Thanks ladies, l think I will do just that. I will post back with PC's reply to my question.

Honored Contributor

On 7/20/2014 F1wild said:

I'm not a PC person, but I can only imagine their customer service recommending only their products.

I hope there's someone on BB that has tried both and can give you a unbiased opinion.

If one of their products is not right for the customer, they will suggest looking at their Beautypedia page for ideas from other brands that are highly rated.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Super Contributor

On 7/20/2014 F1wild said:

I just started using Retin-a and I got good information from Paula's Choice' s website about how to incorporate it into my skincare routine. It was a rather lengthy article with a lot of good information and no mention of any products from her line.

Super Contributor

An over the counter retinol does not have the strength and power of Retin A. I use RA and wouldn't go to a lower strength of retinol unless the RA is irritating the skin