Esteemed Contributor

Sometimes I Just Don't Know Why I Bother!

Watching Britain's Antiques Roadshow last night, and there are all these ladies looking beautiful with minimal makeup!

Of course they all are fair with light hair, so in my case I'm thinking that's the difference! I'm brown eyed, brunette.

But does anyone else feel that way? All they seem to wear is a smidge of lip. They all seem to have beautiful skin, too!

I'm already down to minimal makeup! What do you all eliminate in your making up?

Respected Contributor

Re: Sometimes I Just Don't Know Why I Bother!

Gotta be that British no sun, Peaches n' Cream complexions.

Don't give up, Harpa. I'm sure you're your own worst critic. Plus, just think how bad it would be if you did not take such good care of what you have!

Esteemed Contributor

On 7/19/2014 BellaCarro said:

Don't give up, Harpa. I'm sure you're your own worst critic. Plus, just think how bad it would be if you did not take such good care of what you have!

Either that, or all that tea & crumpets! Smiley Happy

Contributor

Good eyebrows, white teeth, suitable hair style and color. ( after that only minimal make up) LOL those are my goals, I am not there yet. I like the subject, looking forward to more replies.
Super Contributor

There are not many people that have naturally perfect complexions, at least not much past the age of 18. Everyone needs some help along the way. You don't know how much concealer those woman had on. There are ways of wearing makeup without it looking unnatural. If you have the right products for your skin type and tone you can look flawless, too...for a few hours.

Respected Contributor

On 7/19/2014 Harpa said:
On 7/19/2014 BellaCarro said:

Either that, or all that tea & crumpets! Smiley Happy

Clotted cream, maybe?

Super Contributor

I am down to about as minimal as I can get, lol. I usually just use some powder or foundation just to cover any spots. Eyebrows, liner and lipstick. I've stopped wearing mascara to run errands and my lashes are healthier.

Esteemed Contributor

I think it's all that tea! And the damp, cloudy climate. I've always noticed that the Brits have lovely, creamy complexions. French too. My mom's family was French, and she had gorgeous skin (which, btw, I did not inherit!).

I can tell you first hand that fair-skinned blondes don't always have good complexions and cannot go without makeup.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Regular Contributor

Yep, I hear ya Harpa ! Every time I try to embrace the 'minimal makeup' look people tell me I took "tired" . The only thing I'm trying to use a bit less of is foundation so that I don't get as much settling into pores and fine lines. Unless I'm having a really bad, blotchy skin day, I try to just even out my complexion without aggressively trying to conceal my flaws (which are plentiful, I'm sorry to say). But on a really bad skin day all bets are off. Can we hope that maybe the fair-haired English beauties actually have more makeup on then we think ?{#emotions_dlg.blush}

Super Contributor

Well...that is something that eludes me too. The "natural" look. I am wearing less makeup as I get older, (I'm 61) especially in the summer. But here is another issue. I have had to stop using so many products to make me look "natural"..skincare products. My skin just rebelled and became so reactive to anything. When that happens I have to stop all the layers..Vit. C. serums, etc. and resort to my emergency kit. That kit, believe or not, is the original Desitin. It has parabens, which I avoid, but all the good stuff in it just works. One light layer at night while my skin is healing works. Of course I will still us a physical tinted sunblock during the day. So maybe less is more. I know I am rambling, but some people are just born not needing much, but I still think those people that use cosmetics to their advantage look better.....even just a concealer. I mean really, who doesn't need concealer. LOL JMHO.

Michelle