Honored Contributor

Eye cream Cyclodextrin, Retinol and Alpha Hydroxyacids? Any experts?

My favorite eye cream has been discontinued.

Here are the ingredients it contained:

• Encapsulated in Cyclodextrin, this patented time-release delivery system gently exfoliates without irritation using retinol and 4 alpha hydroxy acids.

This cream did what an eye cream (used above and under the eye) is supposed to do... it did gently keep the area exfoliated and eliminated the appearance of fine lines.
If there are any beauty experts on the forum here, would you please give suggestions?
Thank you!
~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Eye cream Cyclodextrin, Retinol and Alpha Hydroxyacids? Any experts?

What was the encapsulated ingredient?

Honored Contributor

Thank you for your reply, Still Raining... just shows you how much I know! I have no idea what it was. Could the retinol and the alpha-hydroxy acids be encapsulated? the manufacturer was ie solutions "Eye Refine"

Esteemed Contributor

I don't know about the cyclodextrine. Wiki says it's a family of compounds made up of sugar molecules. (Sugar to me essentially means glycolic acids, pH neutral.)

If you can use AHAs w/ no problem, just use the Alpha Hydrox Souffle. I always use my treatment under my eyes (& inside corners). I also use the ResQ for retinol at night, same places.

Then go to a moisturizing eye cream for extra support, gosh, whatever! I know I have my favorites! But I always rely on the treatment things, which is primary in warding off any fine lines.

Esteemed Contributor

Hi lovestoteach, since I was just drinking coffee and the news is so sad this morning, I looked up that chemical (I used to be a chem major in some former life) and it is used to remove cholesterol from fat-free food, is in Fabreeze, and has other pharmacy applications. It encapsulates water-phobic things. And here I was all with you about finding a HG ingredient. Ah well better go on my walk.

Honored Contributor

On 7/19/2014 Still Raining said:

Hi lovestoteach, since I was just drinking coffee and the news is so sad this morning, I looked up that chemical (I used to be a chem major in some former life) and it is used to remove cholesterol from fat-free food, is in Fabreeze, and has other pharmacy applications. It encapsulates water-phobic things. And here I was all with you about finding a HG ingredient. Ah well better go on my walk.

Thank you, Still Raining! The only creams that I can find that have even two out of these three listed are VERY expensive. This EI (English Ideas) company was started by a chemist. They are out of business now. I feel they were on the right track. This cream was formulated to be used above the eye, too, in the lid to brow area, and it did such a nice job.

It was maybe the delivery process or the ingredients (four alpha hydroxy's AND reintol) that made it effective. My eye skin looked good throughout the day.

ROC appeared to be close and so did another one... I will look it up again.

Honored Contributor

Thank you, Harpa... I will try the Alpha Hydrox Souffle along with some moisturizer. Heaven knows I have enough of those (moisturizers) around here!

Super Contributor

So sorry that a product you love is no longer available. I hate when that happens.

The cyclodextrin in the eye cream encapsulated the retinol and AHAs, which means that the actives would be released over time as the cyclodextrin dissolved to make them gentler and less irritating. It was most likely a combination of the time released actives and the four AHAs with the retinol that made it effective. I couldn't find an ingredient list for the eye cream, so I'm not sure what the four AHAs were in it.

I personally would be very careful using the AH Soufflé around the eyes. It contains a high percentage of glycolic acid that is not time released, and I can't even use it on my face let alone the delicate skin around my eyes.

Honored Contributor

On 7/19/2014 cassiem said:

So sorry that a product you love is no longer available. I hate when that happens.

The cyclodextrin in the eye cream encapsulated the retinol and AHAs, which means that the actives would be released over time as the cyclodextrin dissolved to make them gentler and less irritating. It was most likely a combination of the time released actives and the four AHAs with the retinol that made it effective. I couldn't find an ingredient list for the eye cream, so I'm not sure what the four AHAs were in it.

I personally would be very careful using the AH Soufflé around the eyes. It contains a high percentage of glycolic acid that is not time released, and I can't even use it on my face let alone the delicate skin around my eyes.

Thank you very much, cassiem! So, so much! I am willing and excited to study some of these ingredients to see why they are not offered together as such, when this was such as effective product for me. You are helping me to be an "educated consumer."

My skin is very sensitive, so perhaps the AH Souffle would be a bit too strong.

When I googled these three ingredients, a SKINN product came up... now that's interesting. I have not found any in that line that I have stuck with. The only ingredient I recognized was the cyclodextrin... and that is just the "delivery system" part. Not sure that product would do anything special, although it did have some "peptides" in it.

Sometimes I wish I had studied chemistry more... I would do research for a cosmetics company... MAYBE!!

Super Contributor

I hear great raves about Skinns eye cream/treatments. He will be on next weekend for an Anniversary show. ShopHQ