Honored Contributor

I Broke out the Neutrogena Last Night...and I'm still Here!

I have been WEN exclusive for almost 2 years. This summer my hair started getting oily and lank...just a few hours after I cleansed. I tried numerous formulas - nothing seemed to help.

Then I read an article on cleansing conditioners in an August magazine (just can't remember which one!). It said to use an anti-residue shampoo once a month or so.

I tried it last night - two cleanses with the shampoo (Neutrogena Anti Residue) and one with WEN Kids apple - my hair is back to shiny & bouncy. All the greasiness and separation are gone. It's back to how it looked when I first started with WEN.

I had no idea what to expect...it was very strange to hear my hair squeak so loudly after the second lather! It almost seemed "matted" from the suds.

But I survived...and I'm glad I read the magazine article and mixed it up - just a LITTLE.

I have seen other posts regarding this issue...mostly from people with fine wavy or straight hair (like mine).

Just a suggestion....

Super Contributor

Re: I Broke out the Neutrogena Last Night...and I'm still Here!

I think it's good to use a clarifying or anti residue shampoo every so often no matter what other products you use. It helps keep build up off your hair that can weigh it down.

Honored Contributor

On 7/18/2014 myshell624 said:

I think it's good to use a clarifying or anti residue shampoo every so often no matter what other products you use. It helps keep build up off your hair that can weigh it down.

Thanks for the positive note - I was afraid I was going to get ripped!

I even felt a little guilty lathering up!

Super Contributor

Glad you ""survived"" shampoo! LOL. My Honey Nuance from CVS seems so much more exciting now.

Honored Contributor

I use Suave clarifying shampoo every 10 days or so because I use a lot of product on my hair and it really cleans it all away. I think using whatever you want for this even if you continue to use WEN is a smart idea...and you were smart not to post on a WEN forum!

Honored Contributor

On 7/18/2014 lovesrecess said:

I use Suave clarifying shampoo every 10 days or so because I use a lot of product on my hair and it really cleans it all away. I think using whatever you want for this even if you continue to use WEN is a smart idea...and you were smart not to post on a WEN forum!

I posted on the WEN forum a few times and got it from all directions.

This was great advice...I wish I could remember what magazine...I read them and throw them out immediately.

Esteemed Contributor

I've been using WEN for years. But, every so often (usually when I'm rushed), I shampoo my hair, use a bit of WEN as leave in and add a few drops of oil - my hair sometimes looks better than the days I use WEN. I still love WEN but I don't think good quality shampoo is so awful.

Respected Contributor

So funny! I guess you expected to erupt in flames or something, for straying from the Wen. I switched from tea tree to lavender a couple of months ago, and I, too, feel like I am getting some occasional buildup on my hair. So about once a week I use Ojon Volume Advance, which I purchased direct from Ojon.

Super Contributor

I use Neutrogena Anti-Residue Shampoo once a week to remove any buildup. Glad it made your hair happy.

Unless, of course, I find a sale or have coupons for one of my other favorite gentle (I demi-color my hair) clarifying shampoos.

Respected Contributor

On 7/18/2014 Alter Ego said:

I've been using WEN for years. But, every so often (usually when I'm rushed), I shampoo my hair, use a bit of WEN as leave in and add a few drops of oil - my hair sometimes looks better than the days I use WEN. I still love WEN but I don't think good quality shampoo is so awful.

I do the same thing!! Sometimes my hair needs a regular good shampoo!!!! Been using Wen since he came to QVC!