Honored Contributor

Wondering about beauty ingredients? Not a chemestry major?

There is an easy to understand article in the September issue of Shop Smart, a Consumer Reports publication. Its called Clean Beauty. It covers formaldehyde, triclosan, phthalates, and others, explaining the health risks. It shows confusing seals on cosmetic packages and whether they mean anything or not. You might be surprised to find some of your favorite products listed, I was.

Regular Contributor

Re: Wondering about beauty ingredients? Not a chemestry major?

Thanks for the post!

Honored Contributor

I'm obviously not a spelling major. Chemistry. Shame on me.

Super Contributor

I don't want to know about my favorite products. I prefer to remain blissfully ignorant!

Esteemed Contributor

I would be interested in seeing this, however, after what my DH told me about CR, I don't know. I doubt some of my things made it even to honorable mentions, anyway! I simply do not use traditional things all the time. Smiley Happy

Actually, do you pick this up from a newsstand?

Not applicable

Hello depglass, this is way off subject but, i was doing some researching online for a good sunscreen, and I ran across a comment you wrote way back in a QVC forum here lol....you wrote: ..."My pharmacist neighbor swears by zinc oxide, its all she will use. So when we go kayaking or gardening together, she has this kabuki white face. And she wears a brimmed hat and big sunglasses. It obviously works, this woman wears no makeup and uses no skin care beyond soap. Her face is virtually unlined and unspotted at 58. I wil lhave to ask her what she wears on her way to work." ... So I'm writing in hopes that you remember lol. Crazy I know. if you do recall? Perfect. If not? Well this was worth a shot. Thanks a bunch.
Respected Contributor

Definitely avoid Triclosan. It is an unnecessary anti-bacterial that can lead to a resistant population of bugs. Simple soap or detergent is good enough to wash hands. I don't buy ANYTHING with triclosan.

As to sunscreen, I am one of those allergic people--the first time I used PABA, I broke out in a sunburn-like, raised, itchy rash. I use BABY sunscreen! Babies have thin skin that absorbs chemicals, so they can't use chemical sunblock. The best one I've found is Neutrogena, and I carry it with me always. I used it on a recent vacation where I was outdoors most of the day and I didn't get a bit of sunburn. It is slightly white-ish, which is not the greatest thing in the world but if you blend it in well, it disappears just fine. I get absolutely no skin reaction from it, because it's zinc oxide and titanium dioxide, which are neutral, physical sun blocks.

Frequent Contributor

Suzanne Somers has a line of organic beauty products on Shophq today. Granted, some are better than others but I suggest looking in. Her moisturizers & body washes are excellent. And no chemicals Smiley Happy