Contributor

Epilator breaking hair off instead of pulling out.. help please

I believe my epilator is breaking the hair off instead of pulling, I am wondering what I am doing wrong, should I go low or high speed? I do exfoliate and hold skin tight as possible. When I first started I was getting small ingrown hair all over legs, really small bumps. So I kicked up the exfoliate and started all over again, now I am certain that it is breaking the hair off instead of pulling, when I started all over again, ( I let the hair grow out ) I epilated every day for a week to try to get all the hair, but I have almost what is like after I shave the day after growth... does this make sense ?

Any pointers sure would be appreciated, thank you so very much for your help.

Super Contributor

Re: Epilator breaking hair off instead of pulling out.. help please

I'm only using the Emjoi Erace (is that the name?) on my face, but noticed when I kind of quickly flicked, it felt like it hadn't really gotten them from the roots. The next time I exfoliated prior, and moved more slowly -- and that seemed to make the difference. Don't know if that's your problem or not, but wanted to let you know what worked for me. :-) Good luck!

Super Contributor

Try doing it after your shower/bath and make sure to use a loofah or some other form of scrubbing sponge on the area you plan to epilate. HTH

Super Contributor

I've been getting a lot of ingrown hairs lately too. It says to epilate in the direction of the hair growth, but when I go down my leg, it doesn't grab the hair. I have to start at the bottom and go up. I wonder if it's breaking the hair off? If I exfoliate any harder I won't have any hair left or skin either.

Honored Contributor

I'm not sure why you are not getting good results.

I agree that going slowly is best. This is not the same as shaving. You need to go slow enough to catch the hairs. Also, the motion used is not the same as shaving. I find I get the best results when I go over an area at least twice & use the high speed once & the low speed once.

When I first started epilating I got little red bumps all over my legs & my legs would be a bit irritated. That always went away quickly. It was a little less each time. I really don't get the bumps anymore but my legs still get a bit irritated for a few minutes.

I really don't worry about extra exfoliating. Sometimes I epilate after my shower, sometimes I don't.

Geez, the words this board won't allow... {#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}

Esteemed Contributor

Go slow and exfoliate really well before and then a couple days after.

I use this cheap facial mask. I put it on my legs about 10 minutes before a shower and then epilate after. It's $3.99 and available at Walmart, Walgreens, Ulta, etc.

Freeman Feeling Beautiful Facial Enzyme Mask, Pineapple- 6 fl oz

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Esteemed Contributor

For best first time results you really should let the hair growth get unsightly on the areas you want to epilate. The longer the hair the better the epilator pulls. You should also do the pre exfoliating as suggested by others.

Super Contributor

On 7/16/2014 betteb said:

Go slow and exfoliate really well before and then a couple days after.

I use this cheap facial mask. I put it on my legs about 10 minutes before a shower and then epilate after. It's $3.99 and available at Walmart, Walgreens, Ulta, etc.

Freeman Feeling Beautiful Facial Enzyme Mask, Pineapple- 6 fl oz

That is just brilliant! I forgot all about those Freeman masks and exfoliants. I used to love them. I am going to get that one you showed and do my legs ASAP! Thank you for that reminder!
Super Contributor

On 7/17/2014 Trix said:

For best first time results you really should let the hair growth get unsightly on the areas you want to epilate. The longer the hair the better the epilator pulls. You should also do the pre exfoliating as suggested by others.

I will say that when I got the TSV epilator a few weeks back, I let the hair under my arms get to about 2mm and then the epilator ripped it all right out, root and all. It lasted for about four weeks. Hurt like a you-know-what though, and felt bruised for about two days, so I am not sure doing it with longer hair was the best idea. It was worth it though.
Honored Contributor

On 7/17/2014 Trix said:

That is not true and the fact that one does not have to wait is one of the selling points of epilators. They mention it repeatedly during presentations.

IME, longer hair also irritates the skin more. Epilating as soon as I notice hair is starting to grow back works great for me.