Honored Contributor

Any ladies on the beauy forum in their 30's and 40's?

I see so many discussions about products, routines, etc for those in other age ranges but nothing really for ladies our ages. I was wondering what you all use, what your preventive and aging concerns are, what makeup products you like, what have you changed recently in our routine (either skincare or makeup) because of changes in your skin as we age, etc.

Smiley Happy

Valued Contributor

Re: Any ladies on the beauy forum in their 30's and 40's?

I am. Thanks to you and susieQ I'm using all Paula's Choice products. In the last few mos. I've made so many changes. The most significant I think was the addition of AHA. My skin is so soft. I suspect that is responsible but I am also using BHA. I will never manually exfoliate my skin again and I have a big bottle of Philosophy's microdelivery wash in my shower. My skin is so much brighter now. I'm using the Vitamin C drops. Right now my biggest concern is some age spots that have popped up. I've been using Paula's 7% Spot treatment. So far no fading. I recently purchased Tarte's Rainforest After Dark Palette. It's a mauvy, plummy nude palette. I love it so much. I've used it everyday since I got it. I think it will be so perfect for fall yet it is so perfect for now. I'm making mostly natural looks but it can make dramatic looks too. I'm very fair and the bronzer and blush look beautiful and I also like how subtle the highlighter is.
Regular Contributor

I am 38 years old, 39 next month, and my primary concern is fine lines around my eyes. I use a hodgepodge of items! I take off my make up with Josie Maran's cleansing oil as it removes most eye make up easily without irritating my eyes. Then I wash my face with Kate Somerville's Detox cleanser or Paula's Choice Skin Balancing cleanser. I use a Kate Somerville toner, Paula's Choice BHA (2%) liquid (but I just ordered her new Resist Daily Pore-Refining Treatment 2% so I will begin using it soon instead), Tretinoin, Josie Maran Light Argan Oil and Kate Somerville Deep Tissue Repair. If I have a breakout I use Kate Somerville's Anti-Bac (benzoyl peroxide 5%).

The only real changes I have made lately is the addition of Josie's products and the Paula's Choice BHA treatment that I am about to begin. I really like the routine I am using right now but I think that I am going to transition to mostly Josie and Paula's products, moving away from Kate's, as they seem to be better suited to my skin's needs.

As for make up I use a ton of stuff but lately Josie Maran's Matchmaker foundation (light/medium), Tarte concealer (I will use up all the Tarte that I have but not buy it any longer due to the animal testing issue), some professional lines such as Mehron, some ELF items, Mally mascara and hopefully I will like the eye shadow sticks I ordered form her too, NARS, Urban Decay Naked palettes (same as with Tarte-using it up), Benefit mascara (using it up), Too Faced eye primer and shadow palettes....probably a ton more but I can't think of any others off the top of my head! I keep my make up in a Zuca on wheels and then in some large make up bags under the bathroom sink so there is a lot!!! I admit it, I am addicted {#emotions_dlg.w00t} Long post, sorry, but hopefully that answers your question a bit!

Super Contributor

Good idea. I'm 39. My skincare is mostly from ASDM Beverly Hills. My main skin concern is brown spots so I just started using a .1%Retin-a gel and a generic Triluma called Melacare Forte. I am also layering sunscreen. My favorites are ASDM' s spf 35 and Paula's Choice Super Light spf 30. I did just receive a sample of Suntegrity 5 n 1 spf 30 on Monday and so far I like it. I really think that sunscreen is the most important anti aging thing we can do for our skin.

My makeup favorites for foundation are Missha Perfect Cover BB cream, Lioele gel foundation and Physicians formula CC cream. I've been wearing ASDM' s mineral makeup over these and love it. I did just get a Holika Holika powder today so I'll have to see if I like it better. For eyeshadow I use Physician's Formula shimmer strips for green eyes, Paula's Choice Matte Nudes and Too Faced Boudoir palette. I use Physician's Formula shimmer strips eyeliner for green eyes too. You get three shades. I only wear the purple and black. I use Paula's Choice mascara and various lipsticks and gloss. I do find that I grab the light pink shade from Paula's Choice liquid lipsticks more than anything else. It's really pretty for summer.

Trusted Contributor

I'm 47 and just about 2 years I streamlined my skincare and it's been for the better.

I actually started using Yves Rocher in my late 20s, then in my 30s I became a "Philosophy Girl". Stuck with that for nearly 15 years...wow! Until a few years back I had a moment where I caught myself in the mirror and thought...wow, looking dull, tired, and beyond my years!

The quest began for a new routine. I haven't been concerned about wrinkles...I've been very fortunate so far, but I'm more concerned with my skin looking clear, even and vibrant. I tried several lines and spent way too much money, and then I decided to do some research. And I went back to shopping the drugstores mostly.

I'm now down to 25% vitamin C serum (JJ Labs Skin Solutions) twice a day, a retinol night cream, and organic Shea Butter for an extra boost of moisture during the winter months.

Ponds cold cream cleanser at night and St. Ives apricot scrub in the morning. That's my skin care.

I really do think the use of twice a day vitamin C and getting rid of all the layering and specialty products have made the biggest difference in my skin. Breakouts are gone, my skin is much smoother and there is a brightness to it I haven't seen in a really long time.

As far as makeup, I've been really big on ELF cosmetics lately. The prices are crazy good and I have been pleasantly shocked at the quality and staying power. I still have bits of Mally and Bare Minerals in my makeup stash, but I haven't been using them much lately.

Honored Contributor

Cardamom, thanks for sharing!

I am glad the PC products are working out so well for you! I remember when I first started using the BHA product of hers several years ago and I saw a big difference in my skin back then. I wasn't really into skincare that much then and when I was younger, I used makeup to correct skin issues instead of thinking about how skincare can actually help with those issues so I don't have to cover, conceal, pile on makeup, lol, etc to try to create this smooth looking, flawless face. So silly, huh?

Regarding the age spots, my mom was using the Paula's Choice spot treatment but didn't really see much of a difference after using the whole tube but I know some have had good success with it. How long have you been using it? I worry about age spots too but I am prone to some freckles so I don't really know how to tell the difference between a freckle and an age spot since I've always had some freckles? {#emotions_dlg.confused1} Anyway, my mom now uses NCN's formula 7 and really likes it. It is kind of pricey though but she uses the 10% off coupon and it is still cheaper than her original high-end brand she use to get at some fancy department store, lol.

The Tarte palette sounds pretty! I hadn't heard of that one but I will check it out online. I am glad you are loving it! I like when I find a palette where I can use most all the colors, if not all. I now only buy ones where I know I will use most. Before, if I liked even a few colors, I'd buy it. {#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}

Is there one thing you can think of that you use to always use/like but now you stopped using because it either no longer works or doesn't look good on you anymore? For example, I used to love doing the thicker, winged out liner on the upper eye lid, even for everyday wear (this was in my late teens, early twenties) but now I have to do a modified version of that and only do it on occasion, say like date night.

Honored Contributor

On 7/16/2014 Mandy Moo said:

I am 38 years old, 39 next month, and my primary concern is fine lines around my eyes. I use a hodgepodge of items! I take off my make up with Josie Maran's cleansing oil as it removes most eye make up easily without irritating my eyes. Then I wash my face with Kate Somerville's Detox cleanser or Paula's Choice Skin Balancing cleanser. I use a Kate Somerville toner, Paula's Choice BHA (2%) liquid (but I just ordered her new Resist Daily Pore-Refining Treatment 2% so I will begin using it soon instead), Tretinoin, Josie Maran Light Argan Oil and Kate Somerville Deep Tissue Repair. If I have a breakout I use Kate Somerville's Anti-Bac (benzoyl peroxide 5%).

The only real changes I have made lately is the addition of Josie's products and the Paula's Choice BHA treatment that I am about to begin. I really like the routine I am using right now but I think that I am going to transition to mostly Josie and Paula's products, moving away from Kate's, as they seem to be better suited to my skin's needs.

As for make up I use a ton of stuff but lately Josie Maran's Matchmaker foundation (light/medium), Tarte concealer (I will use up all the Tarte that I have but not buy it any longer due to the animal testing issue), some professional lines such as Mehron, some ELF items, Mally mascara and hopefully I will like the eye shadow sticks I ordered form her too, NARS, Urban Decay Naked palettes (same as with Tarte-using it up), Benefit mascara (using it up), Too Faced eye primer and shadow palettes....probably a ton more but I can't think of any others off the top of my head! I keep my make up in a Zuca on wheels and then in some large make up bags under the bathroom sink so there is a lot!!! I admit it, I am addicted {#emotions_dlg.w00t} Long post, sorry, but hopefully that answers your question a bit!

Thanks Mandy! I know, I love beauty products so I understand! lol! I am better about purchases these days but I have some stuff left over from my earlier days I just can't seem to toss, lol. Like I have some older UD palettes that I just love. Not sure how long you can keep eyeshadows before they go bad but I love everything about them- the packaging and the colors. Same with a couple of my old Too Faced palettes.

Sounds like you are really streamlining your skincare too.

And yes, fine lines around the eyes are a concern for me too. I am really bad about not wearing sun glasses, which I know I should be wearing so I don't squint so much in the sun and to protect that area from the sun more but I just hate wearing glasses. And I am super expressive in my facial expressions so I think my eyes and forehead are going to be issues in the future. I don't mind so much though, since most of that comes from laughing (I love to laugh!) so if wrinkles will be the price I have to pay for having fun and laughing, well, then so be it. BUT, I will fight with everything I got to prevent that from happening, at least from happening now rather than later. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

On 7/16/2014 myshell624 said:

Good idea. I'm 39. My skincare is mostly from ASDM Beverly Hills. My main skin concern is brown spots so I just started using a .1%Retin-a gel and a generic Triluma called Melacare Forte. I am also layering sunscreen. My favorites are ASDM' s spf 35 and Paula's Choice Super Light spf 30. I did just receive a sample of Suntegrity 5 n 1 spf 30 on Monday and so far I like it. I really think that sunscreen is the most important anti aging thing we can do for our skin.

My makeup favorites for foundation are Missha Perfect Cover BB cream, Lioele gel foundation and Physicians formula CC cream. I've been wearing ASDM' s mineral makeup over these and love it. I did just get a Holika Holika powder today so I'll have to see if I like it better. For eyeshadow I use Physician's Formula shimmer strips for green eyes, Paula's Choice Matte Nudes and Too Faced Boudoir palette. I use Physician's Formula shimmer strips eyeliner for green eyes too. You get three shades. I only wear the purple and black. I use Paula's Choice mascara and various lipsticks and gloss. I do find that I grab the light pink shade from Paula's Choice liquid lipsticks more than anything else. It's really pretty for summer.

Thanks for sharing! The skin lightener might be something Cardamom might check out if the Paula's Choice one doesn't work out for her. What is Triluma? Is it hydroquinone based?

I used suntegrity (it used to have "baby" in the name but I know they've changed the names now) over a year ago but it was too thick for me to use on my facial skin. I still have some, I just use it on my arms and neck instead. Just too heavy for my skin, even though it is drier these days. My recent discovery for Sunscreen that has even replaced my Paula's Choice Super light tinted one, is Andalou Naturals Moisturizing CC. I wore just that one day - no foundation over it or powder- and my husband kept saying how pretty I looked! So yeah, I am hooked on that one now. I like it better than the PC one, which I never thought I'd say. Better price too and good ingredients. But I agree, sunscreen is crucial!

I love the Missha PC too and I am still using the Physician's formula organic wear CC cream. I am not sure I will repurchase the Physicians formula one now that I am using and loving the Andalou but I might if it is on sale. Smiley Happy I still need to try PF's eyeshadows one day. Have you tried their blushes? I also need to try PC's mascara one day and I LOVE her Vintage pInk liquid lipgloss that came in that free set. Is that the light pink one you are referring to? My husband LOVES that one on me and always comments on how pretty my lips look every time I wear it. I asked if they are going to sell them separately and they said no plans to do so at this time.

Honored Contributor

I hate this thread!

Proceed.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Super Contributor

HI, I'm 43. Started using Paula's Choice in April this year. Best decision I ever made. I got it to address skin concerns more to do with clogged pores and breakouts, but the anti-aging effect has also been really great.

I also have a giant Philosophy Micro Delivery in the shower and I just posted about the tarte palette last night in another forum. Colors would be so perfect now into fall and winter.

Nice to have a forum for our age {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}