Contributor

OT~~ Hip Replacement Help Please

Sorry for OT post but this is the best place I have ever been to for information, compassion and sharing..... I have replacement scheduled for July 29 but am chickening out. I have had several opinions and scans, many injections, you name it. I am not crippled by this or walking with a cane but it has really affected my life and the things I love to do. Also has taken a toll on my mental health I think....Just hoping some of you wonderful women could do a little hand holding or sharing of your experiences? I am 59, on the small side and in pretty decent health despite a painful hip. A few years ago I got differing opinions on the necessity. Two years later and now pain is now starting in the groin and outer aspect of joint. I am thinking I might need another opinion and to take the pain meds everyone has been telling me to, but I've been avoiding. Also perhaps pushing out the surgery a little bit. Hubby does not agree. Does anyone have any wonderful words of wisdom? I've had several surgeries in my life (all I have struggled with deciding on) and am not a baby but for some reason this one has me paralyzed. Thank you all in advance for being such a caring group and again, sorry for OT posting.

Chris

Super Contributor

Re: OT~~ Hip Replacement Help Please

Go to the website BoneSmart.org. They have a whole community just for hip and knee replacement. You can join and ask questions of other people who have concerns and or who have been through it all ready. There are doctors and nurses on the site who monitor it. I had both knees replaced a year ago and the site was wonderful!
Respected Contributor

Chris, I put mine off way too long- don't do that! The reason I did, was financial. I'd be off on short term disability from work at only $200 a week. I'd be off three months. I woke every hour in excruciating pain and finally scheduled my surgery. I was totally bone on bone and a few days before the surgery, I could hardly walk! Had to stop work immediately. Because I waited, I believe my recovery was longer. Yes, it's a difficult surgery, but they've made more improvements since 2007. Get it done and start enjoying life.Smiley Happy Good luck to you and hugs!
Respected Contributor

You need to get this done when you are young enough to fully recover from it to be an active older adult. My grandmother broke her ball joint at 76 and has taken the better part of 6 months to recover but still isn't as full speed as she was, though she isn't a spring chicken any more. Her mother broke her's around age 80 and never recovered, needed a walker, and was in pain for the rest of her life. Pain meds are not fun things to get reliant upon. I don't blame you for not taking them to deal with it, but choosing surgery to get it taken care of permanently! It is s serious surgery, as is any surgery, so you need to be health as you can going into it and after. Use this time to plan your recovery at your home, moving furniture so you can navigate, remove all rugs to prevent tripping, get your bathroom cleared out so you can shower/bath without issue. Find a good sitting spot, chair/couch, and make sure that you have a firm enough spot for you to be able to lift yourself up out of it, soft chairs and couches are not good for that, so you many need a piece of plywood under the cushions to firm it up to get up more easily. Move things in your kitchen that you use, but are on high shelves that require lifting and can be awkward to lift so you don't strain yourself. Move items in the fridge from the bottom so you don't have to stoop to get to those frequently used items, the same thing for the pantry. Don't worry about polished floors because they can be slippery. Do some general cleaning as you won't be able to do it once you have surgery. Don't be afraid to ask for some cooking/cleaning/laundry help and go ahead and line people up to help you with them.

I can't think of anything else to help you except you will appreciate those little things you don't think about more often, as the little things become big things when you can't easily do them anymore. Get the surgery done ASAP, while you are young, healthier, and more able to recover more fully!

Contributor

Thank you both, I just went to Bone Smart.....did not know it existed! Hugs!!

Chris

Respected Contributor

Yes do go to that site! I book marked it in preparation for my next one.
Respected Contributor

Excellent advice tigriss!!! And get some spray dry shampoo for your hair, very nice to have.Smiley Happy
Respected Contributor

Don't forget body bath wipes.....feeling clean is a major part of recovery!

Honored Contributor

I am going to have to have knee replacement. I was totally opposed to all of it because I saw several people who were still in so much pain.

Then I started meeting people and people who had family who were doing wonderfully and started hearing, "It was the best thing they ever had done".

Then I also found out that all of these people went to REHAB right after the surgery. Those who weren't happy were the people who went home after the surgery.

So, i will probably have at least one knee done and am going to go directly to rehab (the thought of being away from home for 2 or 3 weeks puts me in a panic) but I think that is the best decision.

I hope you go through it. I know several people who had hip replacement (and my son-in-law's Father does the surgery (and the surgeon had to have it done to him) and all are doing well.

Everyone says you MUST do the work after ward to do the theraphy. Those that don't do the theraphy are the one's who don't recover well.

Occasional Contributor

My husband has had both hips replaced during the past 2 years. His incisions were in the front, anterior replacement, I believe it was called. His recovery was remarkably quick. I can only tell you that he does not regret the surgery, even a little. The surgery was a breeze compared to the pain he was enduring. He was in the hospital only parts of two days, was sent home with an "ice" machine to hold down swelling, those doggone TED hose and NO physical therapy afterward.

Also, with this type of surgery there are rarely problems with dislocations.

Oh, btw, the surgeon said he had never seen a hip as bad as my husband's left hip. If they can fix him they can fix anyone. Know your surgeon, know the type of surgery and what to expect and get on with your life, pain free! Best to you.