Honored Contributor

Illinois and New York are at the forefront to ban plastic beads in exfoliators.

ExfoliKate has those beads.

They go straight through the water systems, out to the Great Lakes. Birds think they resemble fish eggs and eat them (as well as other fish eating them too!).

They are a serious problem in the Great Lakes - one of the USA's major source of clean fresh water.

Let's educate ourselves and use biodegradable products ladies!

Regular Contributor

Great, another favorite product bites the dust {#emotions_dlg.angry} Thanks for the post.

Honored Contributor

Good post. I didn't realize this. I don't use facial scrubs anyway though, because I think they aggravate the broken blood vessels (I think that's what those tiny veins are) on my face.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

Terrier--I agree. And I have to say it's more for my own (selfish) welfare, although I do care about the environment, too.

I use my face exfoliator on my body also and mine consists of polished peach kernels (I think!--something gentle, but don't have it right here).

I try hard to buy housecleaning products that are easy on the earth too. I just loaded up on an all purpose spray (grab green) that I love at half price. I have 11 unopened bottles. It's works in the bath and shower, kitchen, porch and boat. I also have the glamorous job of keeping 3 other houses clean.

I wish everyone would be more aware of what is going down the drain!

Super Contributor

I use a bar of soap and bath gloves ... no residue.

Regular Contributor

Hmm, what is in the Josie Maran Exfoliating Powder?? What are the beads called?

Never mind, I Googled the ingredients just in case something was hiding in there!

Trusted Contributor
Thanks, terrier. I'll check it out as I always do. I appreciate the heads up!
Honored Contributor

Good news. And I may be wrong, but I think there are alternatives that are environmentally friendly.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Super Contributor

Actually it affects all waterways - the oceans too. The tiny zooplankton eat the beads and die because they can't digest them ( or the live and get consumed by larger animals) the beads also soak up toxins like sponges - and that in turn hurts the environment. I will be glad to purchase products that have beads that are bio-degradable.

Honored Contributor
On 7/12/2014 Mandy Moo said:

Great, another favorite product bites the dust {#emotions_dlg.angry} Thanks for the post.

There are plenty of alternatives to plastic beads.

I am sure products will adapt.