Honored Contributor

Saving Money On Funeral Flowers

We have had our share of deaths in the family these past few years. Mostly aunts, cousins, etc. Funeral flowers get expensive and my mother prefers to do flowers (especially for the aged that do not have much family left and would probably not have many flowers) over donations. I called up our big grocery store and they said they do arrangements so mom, my sister, and I went in, picked out a beautiful plant basket, had fresh cut flowers added and a silk butterfly (it actually came with the butterfly and ribbon) and it turned out so pretty. It was not a little basket either. We were pleasantly surprised that the total cost was only
$41.00 Smile. It was really beautiful! We were able to choose the fresh cut flowers they added to it and also change the color of the butterfly and ribbon. Didn't know where to post this so I posted here. Just thought I would share this for anyone else who wants to save a little and still have something very nice to give. We received double the size for our money over anything I found on the internet or from local floral shops.

Honored Contributor

Re: Saving Money On Funeral Flowers

The arrangement sounds lovely; great price, and I'm glad you found a flower source that better fit your needs. I agree that sometimes we don't realize what resources are readily available to us in our area.

In my area of southern WV, families are beginning to suggest donations more and more. Most of the time a church, or hospice organization is named. I really like the donation idea, but in circumstances where I know the needs of the family, I give the money to them directly. I can remember when my paternal grandparents died in 1969 and 1971, the viewing room was filled floor to ceiling with floral arrangments---absolutely beautiful. As a young teen, I was in awe of so many flowers in one room. Things are very different now, and it's been a very long time since I saw that many flowers at a funeral.

I prefer to send flowers to people while they're alive to enjoy them, and have several people I surprise from time to time with floral arrangements. I use a local florist I have known my entire life. I remember being around 5-6 yrs old, and walking into the first shop this man worked in, and he gave me a white carnation. I treasured that flower until it dried up and crumbled, and have never forgotten how happy I was with that simple gift. That is the feeling I hope my floral gifts give to others.

Esteemed Contributor

Personally, I love flowers, but please, don't spend money on them after I'm gone. I much prefer a donation or perhaps a live plant that my family can have, long after the funeral is over.

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Respected Contributor

Stew Leonard's in New England, a grocery chain that is innovative and somewhat upscale also does beautiful wedding and funeral arrangements for pretty reasonable prices.

Respected Contributor

Did they deliver it? The Shop Rite in our area does beautiful arrangements for a reasonable price. The only drawback is they do not deliver unless it is a large order like for a wedding. I guess if a loved one's family bought their flowers there they would deliver them for the funeral. It's still worth it even though you have to delivery it yourself. Like RedTop, I haven't seen a funeral with lots of flowers since I was young. No doubt it's due to the high cost of them! Thanks for the post!

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Honored Contributor

My Mom always said she wanted a lot of flowers for her funeral - and , BOY , did she ever have them! Tons of them. I loved looking at them during the hours we spent at the funeral home. I think they are nice for the family.

Respected Contributor

On 7/12/2014 betteb said:

Personally, I love flowers, but please, don't spend money on them after I'm gone. I much prefer a donation or perhaps a live plant that my family can have, long after the funeral is over.

Agreed, or plant a tree as a memorial.

Super Contributor

I buried my beloved husband last month. In lieu of flowers, we asked for donations to the Cancer Society. We did get a few floral arrangements from the immediate family. But we thought the money was better spent finding a cure for this horrible disease and saving someone and their family from going through what we did.

Let me apologize in advance for this statement, but a plant was the last thing I needed. We did get a peace lily which is now at my home, probably withering away. I had to get away for a while and have no one to take care of it while I am gone. It is just another thing I had to worry about while trying to deal with the pain of losing the most beloved person in my life. Not everyone is a plant person and may not want to be reminded of such a painful time.

Sometimes in our effort to economize, we don't realize that a donation to a worthy cause would be more useful and appreciated.

Respected Contributor

On 7/12/2014 maestra said:

Stew Leonard's in New England, a grocery chain that is innovative and somewhat upscale also does beautiful wedding and funeral arrangements for pretty reasonable prices.

Oh! How I miss Stew Leonards!!!!! Love that store.

Esteemed Contributor

I always give a donation instead of flowers. Then I take a bouquet to the site. You can get wonderful arrangements other places than a florist like you did.