Trusted Contributor

Kroger and Vitacost.com on Wednesday announced a merger agreement

Kroger and Vitacost.com on Wednesday announced a definitive merger agreement under which Kroger will purchase all outstanding shares of Vitacost.com for $8 per share in cash, or approximately $280 million.
"We are delighted to welcome Vitacost.com to the Kroger family," stated Rodney McMullen, Kroger CEO. "Vitacost.com's talented team has built an exceptional online retail destination in the growing nutrition and wellness market
Super Contributor

Re: Kroger and Vitacost.com on Wednesday announced a merger agreement

We don't have Kroger's anywhere near us...used to go there while in college and liked it.

Super Contributor

I wonder what will change? I use Vitacost.

Honored Contributor

I use Vitacost and I shop at Kroger.

I also wonder what changes might happen.

Respected Contributor

I'm not familiar with Vitacost, so I'll have to look it up. Our Krogers stores here are named King Soopers.

Trusted Contributor

Building on Vitacost.com's technology and fulfillment platform and linking it to Kroger's existing digital capabilities will accelerate Kroger's omnichannel strategy. Millions of customers already plan their shopping online using Kroger's cloud-based shopping list and weekly ad through the company's mobile apps and Kroger.com, and more than one billion digital coupons have been downloaded since 2009. Kroger offers an order online, deliver-to-home service in its King Soopers division in Denver, and continues to learn from Harris Teeter's successful Express Lane model, which offers customers the ability to order online and pick up at their local store in 154 locations. With Vitacost.com, Kroger will offer customers the convenience to order online and ship to their door with an expanded assortment online.

Super Contributor

I always feel an "uh oh" when a local/regional/small company is acquired by a behemoth. They always say there won't be any changes, but... Think Philosophy, Bare Escentuals, etc., just to name two!

Kroger has QFC Food Centers and Fred Meyer in my area -- and I like them both. They have the rep of treating their employees fairly. Maybe there's nothing to be concerned about, but we have to remember that the bottom line and showing profit to shareholders is the primary mover of publicly-held entities.

Little snip from the Wiki piece on Kroeger:

The Kroger Company is an American retailer founded by Bernard Kroger in 1883 in Cincinnati, Ohio. By revenue, it is the country's largest supermarket chain,[3] second-largest general retailer (after Walmart),[3] and twenty-third largest company.[4] Kroger is also the fifth largest retailer in the world.[5] As of February 2013, Kroger operates, either directly or through its subsidiaries, 2,424 stores.[6] Kroger's headquarters are in downtown Cincinnati.[6] It maintains markets in 31 states,[7] with store formats that include supermarkets, superstores, department stores, convenience stores, and mall jewelry stores. Kroger-branded grocery stores are located throughout the Midwestern and Southern United States. Kroger also is parent to several "banner" chains, such as Ralphs in California.

Trusted Contributor

I like or Kroeger store here. good store. good customer service

Respected Contributor

On 7/11/2014 poregirl said:

Building on Vitacost.com's technology and fulfillment platform and linking it to Kroger's existing digital capabilities will accelerate Kroger's omnichannel strategy. Millions of customers already plan their shopping online using Kroger's cloud-based shopping list and weekly ad through the company's mobile apps and Kroger.com, and more than one billion digital coupons have been downloaded since 2009. Kroger offers an order online, deliver-to-home service in its King Soopers division in Denver, and continues to learn from Harris Teeter's successful Express Lane model, which offers customers the ability to order online and pick up at their local store in 154 locations. With Vitacost.com, Kroger will offer customers the convenience to order online and ship to their door with an expanded assortment online.

Interesting, thanks. I absolutely love the e-coupons; it's much easier for me to manage than dealing with paper coupons. A couple of years ago, I was temporarily without personal transportation & did my grocery shopping online & had them delivered, which really helped me out at the time. Yes, I paid more because I had to pay the delivery fee, plus I always tipped the delivery people. I prefer to choose my own groceries, but one does what one has to when in a pinch.

I also like being able to peruse the weekly ads online & create my shopping lists from that, & can view my e-coupons also so I can choose products accordingly.

Things sure have changed from my childhood, when Mom shopped at the little neighborhood Piggly Wiggly & the "box boy" put our groceries in boxes (which we took back to the store the next time).

Esteemed Contributor

Interesting. I shop at Kroger/Dillons regularly anyway. Our Dillons has a huge cosmetics and organic cosmetics dept that carries most of the same brands carried by Vitacost, only at lower prices. So I wonder if this merger will raise prices of my favorite brands?

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt