Honored Contributor

Sunscreen Myth: more bad news about sunscreens

Scientists Blow The Lid on Cancer & Sunscreen Myth

by PAUL FASSA

According to a June 2014 article featured in The Independent (UK), a major study conducted by researchers at the Karolinska Institute in Sweden found that women who avoid sunbathing during the summer are twice as likely to die as those who sunbathe every day.

The epidemiological study followed 30,000 women for over 20 years and “showed that mortality was about double in women who avoided sun exposure compared to the highest exposure group.”

Researchers concluded that the conventional dogma, which advises avoiding the sun at all costs and slathering on sunscreen to minimize sun exposure, is doing more harm than actual good.

That’s because overall sun avoidance combined with wearing sunscreen effectively blocks the body’s ability to produce vitamin D3 from the sun’s UVB rays, which is by far the best form of vitamin D.

In the USA, vitamin D deficiency is at epidemic levels. Ironically, vitamin D deficiency can lead to aggressive forms of skin cancer. A ground-breaking 2011 study published in Cancer Prevention Research suggests that optimal blood levels of vitamin D offers protection against sunburn and skin cancer.

---> more of the article:

Cancer Sunscreen Myth

Honored Contributor

Re: Sunscreen Myth: more bad news about sunscreens

And yet there are many more studies showing that more people die from skin cancer in America due to sun exposure than die due to vitamin D deficiency so it all just depends on what you want to believe- one or two studies or several dozen or more.

Honored Contributor

True, but I believe we're in the beginning of a Paradigm Shift as it pertains to sunscreen. There's more & more talk about chemicals on food....just a matter of time before it's related to sunscreen & what's applied to our skin, the largest organ. Something's got to change.

Super Contributor

So, supplement with D-3.
Honored Contributor

We are taking in tons of chemicals through our skin. All kinds of lotions, creams, body washes, fabrics, etc., etc. Just about everything we touch, too. Almost everything is made from chemicals/plastics of some sort. It's really a losing battle, keeping away from chemicals. Seems to me, anyway. I doubt if there is anything we can do about it in this era in time. Note: I said almost everything, meaning objects. And not water (as in taking a shower), of course.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

"When consumed as isolated concentrated nutrients wrapped in a pill-casing, vitamin D supplements cause nutritional imbalances, which leads to metabolic sicknesses. At dosages considered safe, an increase in "bad" LDL-cholesterol, prostate cancer, immune system suppression, autoimmune diseases, gastrointestinal symptoms, kidney disease, and calcium stones has been observed. The adverse effects of vitamin D therapy are understudied, underestimated, and underreported."

"The benefits from taking pills are very limited and there are adverse side effects. The lesson is: Natural is best when it comes to food and sunshine. "

Honored Contributor

you choose your battles. I choose sunscreen because you are more at risk to die from skin cancer, especially being as fair as I am, than vitamin D deficiency.

Super Contributor

Zzzzzzz....

Super Contributor

Very easy fix.......take Vitamin D3 Supplements....NOT Vitamin D2!

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2012/02/23/oral-vitamin-d-mistake.aspx

Super Contributor

On 7/9/2014 gazelle77 said: So, supplement with D-3.

{#emotions_dlg.thumbup1} Thanks, gazelle! My post was going to be..........Duh!

With my Irish ancestry I'm a good candidate for getting skin cancer. My father had it twice. My doctor prescribes a Vit D and monitors my blood level. Much safer. As little as an hour in the sun would fry me. I NEVER tan. I start out bright pink and move into lobster red, then I peel. Nothing about that is healthy.