Honored Contributor

I haven't used a Toner in years. Recently, though, I've gotten a couple of samples of Paula's Choice Skin Recovery Toner and loved it. I have thought about ordering it since it's 25% off right now but still am not really sure why I need it. It contains niacinamide and other good ingredients. Any thoughts as to whether it's really necessary?

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Contributor

Re: Do You Really Need A Toner?

I use the Clinique #2 because it keeps my skin clearer. It also removes any traces of soap residue from cleansing so that your serums and moisturizers can get in better. I like Paula's too actually!

Honored Contributor

Thanks for your reply zebragirl. I just wanted to add that I'm able to remove all my make-up with my cleanser so wouldn't need to use a Toner for that.

-Henry David Thoreau

Frequent Contributor

Just use Witch Hazel. Thats all you need.

Contributor

I think what they're saying is that the toner removes traces of your CLEANSER, not makeup. Your cleanser can leave a light film, so it's harder for serums, etc to get in.

Honored Contributor

On 7/8/2014 zebragirl318 said:

I think what they're saying is that the toner removes traces of your CLEANSER, not makeup. Your cleanser can leave a light film, so it's harder for serums, etc to get in.

Oh, that makes a lot more sense.

-Henry David Thoreau

Valued Contributor

I just got my order from Paula. I am using toner for the first time in years. A got the Resist toner and the Earth Sourced toner. Hers have skin care ingredients in them. The Resist has ferulic acid and I think they both have antioxidants. I don't know if it is necessary but I got them to try out and help spread my Vitamin C serum.
Respected Contributor

I had to stop using toner because it broke me out. Any suggestions? I was using Mary Kay Toner.

Don't worry, be Happy!
Esteemed Contributor

I don't know if other people need one, but I know I don't. Depends on the reason for use. It may also be used to put your skin back in neutral pH (taking that you use a cleanser that is either too alkaline or too acidic.)

The only other hopeful reason you might use a toner is for any potential beneficial ingredients, but I should think that in a lighter, toner-type version, most of any nutrient would be dissipated before it ever got to do anything beneficial.

Honored Contributor

On 7/8/2014 Harpa said:

The only other hopeful reason you might use a toner is for any potential beneficial ingredients, but I should think that in a lighter, toner-type version, most of any nutrient would be dissipated before it ever got to do anything beneficial.

That's kind of what I was thinking, too, Harpa. As much as I enjoyed using the PC samples I just don't think there would be enough of the ingredients to make it worthwhile to use it.

-Henry David Thoreau