Occasional Contributor

Has anyone bought prescription progressive eye wear online?

Hi All, Has anyone bought prescription progressive eye glasses on line from retailers like Zenni Optical? If yes, did you like them? How was the bi focal? Accurate? Thanks

Contributor

Re: Has anyone bought prescription progressive eye wear online?

I have been getting my eye glasses online for at least four years now...I would never go back to any other way! I have a tough rx and an expensive one. Zenni and USAglasses are wonderful. I have progressive also and I have no problem. With my insurance a single pair cost me $300 and that's with a frame in the $50 range. My last pair from Zenni were $97!

Go for it, you wont be sorry!

Occasional Contributor

Thanks libbey. I think I will order on line!

Respected Contributor

I'll let you know in about a week.Smile I spent a crazy amount of money on my last glasses ordered at the eye dr. I later learned about zenni so I placed an order. There was a code to buy 2, get one free, so I got progressives, readers and rx sunglasses.

One thing you will need to place your online order is your PD number (pupil distance, I think??). It's not written on the prescription, so I had to call my eye dr. and they were very hesitant to give me that number. I reminded them that I had just spent an awful lot of money in their office, so I was trying to save money on additional glasses. They said it's not a number they give out since it's "internal" information. I guess they didn't like the fact that I wasn't giving them even more money for my other needs.

Super Contributor

How is the measuring done?

When I get my glasses, not only do I need to have the right fit for the frame, the optician has to determine where the center of your eye intersects with the lens.

My lenses alone are close to $300 because I have a severe correction. There are so many variables - what material the lens is made of; lined bifocal or progressive; what coatings are needed. Once the finished product comes in, it takes 15 minutes to get the proper fit. The optician manipulates and bends to gain clarity. Then you get to read something to check how well they work.

I could never give up working with a person. I am lucky enough to go to an optician with his own lab, so his prices are lower. My lenses always have to sent out. ;-)

In 1995 I paid over $500 dollars for glasses while living outside Philly - went to the King of Prussia mall. Now, in 2014, in upstate PA, I got new sunglasses, with Kate Spade frames, and still only paid $400. I guess what part of the country you live in makes a big difference.

Trusted Contributor

I've bought many pairs of progressives from Zenni, and have never had a problem.

Occasional Contributor

I've bought my latest glasses from Zenni with no problem. When I had my eye exam and the doctor was writing my prescription, I asked him to add the PD, which he did gladly. What a cost differential! I formerly worked for the country's largest vision insurance company, and Zenni does a great job.

Super Contributor

This is fascinating. Totally new topic for me. I had never heard of Zenni. I know people buy contacts online, but never heard of glasses. Glad to hear so many of you have had positive experiences.

Remember the national chain that promised your glasses would be ready in 1 hour? My lenses were exempt from that promise. I wonder if there's a point beyond which they don't do your glasses? If I would be exempt from their buy 2 - get 1 free offer. At a discounted lab, lenses for 3 eyeglasses would be between $750-$800. It's hard to imagine only being charged 1/3 given how severe my correction is.

Respected Contributor

1/3? Try 1/10 the cost! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup} I chose the best anti-glare, etc. too. Can't wait to receive them. I'll post back with my review.

Super Contributor

On 7/6/2014 santorini said:

1/3? Try 1/10 the cost! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup} I chose the best anti-glare, etc. too. Can't wait to receive them. I'll post back with my review.

Please do, santorini! Wow! You got to choose things like anti-glare? That's great!