Contributor

Skin and Hair in Bad Shape After Surgeries

Hi everyone! I don't come on here often but I hope some of you ladies will be able to help me. I've had two major surgeries in the last year and am going to have a third (and last) one in August. A couple months after the first surgery I noticed my hair was a little thinner, especially on top of my scalp. I started taking Biotin and upping my hair care routine. I also noticed my skin wasn't as nice and paid extra attention to it. Well after the second operation the same thing happened and now that I'm facing a third I'm quite worried because my hair and skin still haven't recovered from the first two. Is there something extra I can be doing? TIA

Respected Contributor

Re: Skin and Hair in Bad Shape After Surgeries

Use a clarifying formula regularly, though not every time you cleanse. You have a build up of the anesthesia drugs. You also may be taking prescriptions which will break your hair. Some that will do this with prolonged use are ibuprofen and naproxen. You will really want to step up use of moisturizing formulas and oils on your scalp. I am a WEN girl, so of course I would recommend that line, but if you are not into that, still try the above suggestions.

As far as your skin, I don't know if you are experiencing dryness or what. Try to use a good facial oil on your skin after washing morning and evening. Just a few drops and a very good moisturizer.

Happy WEN Girl since 1/12/2012
Regular Contributor

I feel for you JasmineK, so sorry you are dealing with these issues. The same thing happened to me when I had surgery, but your hair and skin will come back....unfortunately, it may take a little time with multiple surgeries. I am also a Wen user and it helped me, but so did time, so do use a deep conditioner if you are not into Wen and moisturizing products. Drink lots of water, it will help your skin. I do agree with everything Kjelle suggested... just wanted to offer you my prayers and best wishes. Kiss

Contributor

Thank you so much, both of you. The reassurance is very helpful for me as are the suggestions.

Respected Contributor

There are vitamins for hair, skin and nails that contain other things than just biotin. Try one of those. There are gummy versions at WalMart. Also switching to a formula of shampoo for revitalizing or nourishing like the sulphate free version L'OrealProduct Details has. Product Details Product Detailsand switching your face care to something that fits your new skin profile. Cerave makes two great and gentle cleanser, one for dryer skin and one for oily/normal skin. Toner will also help to clean the dullness of your face, Thayer's or Dickinson's are both great and at WalGreens. Find a moisturizer for your new skin type. A good multi-vitamin, a gummy one is great because it digests better and actually fully dissolves. Gummy vitamins are great for this. A good B Complex would be great too since your energy probably is very low as well!

Respected Contributor

Also eat apples and drink water. The water will flush your system of toxins and the apple will provide fiber for cleaning your system and pectin for your skin. Honeybell apples are AWESOME and the right size for work/travel. A good detoxifying tea from the tea section at your local store will help as well.Product DetailsIndian Sarsaparilla Root, Organic Cinnamon Bark, Organic Ginger Root, Organic Licorice Root, Organic Burdock Root, Organic Dandelion Root, Cardamom Pod, Organic Clove Bud, Organic Black Pepper, Juniper Berry Extract, Organic Long Pepper Berry, Phellodendron Bark, Organic Rhubarb Root, Chinese Skullcap Root, Coptis Root, Forsythia Fruit, Gardenia Fruit, Japanese Honeysuckle Flower, Winter Melon Seed.

It cleanses the liver and kidneys to remove those toxins as well. A soak in Epson salts will be great too in helping your skin. The salt will be fine for your face since it will clear up the pores and oil, if that is your problem. When I'm at the beach for extended vacations and swimming in the ocean everyday, I never have breakouts and my pores clear up. I think that means we all should live at the beach!

Esteemed Contributor

On 7/5/2014 Kjelle said:

Use a clarifying formula regularly, though not every time you cleanse. You have a build up of the anesthesia drugs. You also may be taking prescriptions which will break your hair. Some that will do this with prolonged use are ibuprofen and naproxen. You will really want to step up use of moisturizing formulas and oils on your scalp. I am a WEN girl, so of course I would recommend that line, but if you are not into that, still try the above suggestions.

As far as your skin, I don't know if you are experiencing dryness or what. Try to use a good facial oil on your skin after washing morning and evening. Just a few drops and a very good moisturizer.

Yep, anesthesia is very hard on hair skin and nails.

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Trusted Contributor

It is the anesthesia, as others have said, not necessarily the surgeries. Mention the issues you have been having to the anesthesiologist before your next one. Sometimes, something can be altered. Sometimes not.

Honored Contributor

Andrew Lessman healthy hair skin and nails has terrific reviews
Honored Contributor

I had this problem when I had knee replacements 2 months apart - hair falling out everywhere and really bad nails too. I started taking Lessman's hair, skin and nails vitamins with a great result.