Honored Contributor

The ComPact is a commitment to simplify, pare down, streamline. It began as a way to gain some control over our collections of beauty products. Why were we amassing so much, yet not using what we were buying? Why were we always searching for the next new product? Why couldn't we just find what worked for us and stick with it?

The ComPact, however, is not restricted to beauty items. If you have a collection you want to address, do it here. Choose an area you want to work on, and track your progress on the ComPact thread. Members will offer tips and encouragement.

Choose one of our many mantras (“One by one until they’re done!” “We are SPAHHHRRRTAN!!!” “Not until you really have to.” “Buy less, choose well, make it last.” “Resist the propaganda.” "If it's high, I don't buy!" “When in doubt, do without!” “Shoplighters of the World Unite!”) or create a new one and share it. Target items each month to toss, donate, or use, and post your “chopping block” -- or “hit list.” Post temptations, post victories.

They say it takes 30 days for something to become a habit: Let's see if taking the ComPact one month at a time works for you.

Join us.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

Happy July, ComPactors!

June Recap:

I had a good June. No beauty purchases & I used up a few things. I've been bad about keeping track of my items used up because there aren't that many anymore. I am going to keep a list for July.

I also finally completed my living room ORC. What a difference getting rid of all those boxes of stuff has made! I do still need to take a lot of things to be donated but it may be a few days before I get a chance to do that.

July Goals:

No unnecessary beauty purchases. I'm about out of a few items, like cleanser & moisturizer so I may need to make a few purchases. I am hoping to get something simple & natural that I can pick up locally. Need to research a bit on what.

July ORC:

The Kitchen. Clean EVERYTHING. Reorganize cupboards & storage. Get rid of useless "stuff." I tend to use a few dishes over & over so the rest sit in the cupboard collecting dust. I am going to wash it all and attempt to store things in a manner that will make it easier to use more of what I have. Like rotating the plates, etc.

Honored Contributor
On 7/1/2014 willdob3 said:

Happy July, ComPactors!

June Recap:

I had a good June. No beauty purchases & I used up a few things. I've been bad about keeping track of my items used up because there aren't that many anymore. I am going to keep a list for July.

I also finally completed my living room ORC. What a difference getting rid of all those boxes of stuff has made! I do still need to take a lot of things to be donated but it may be a few days before I get a chance to do that.

July Goals:

No unnecessary beauty purchases. I'm about out of a few items, like cleanser & moisturizer so I may need to make a few purchases. I am hoping to get something simple & natural that I can pick up locally. Need to research a bit on what.

July ORC:

The Kitchen. Clean EVERYTHING. Reorganize cupboards & storage. Get rid of useless "stuff." I tend to use a few dishes over & over so the rest sit in the cupboard collecting dust. I am going to wash it all and attempt to store things in a manner that will make it easier to use more of what I have. Like rotating the plates, etc.

You're making me look like a real slacker here! I'm sick with jealousy.

The only "beauty" item I need right now is a facial cleanser. I think Paula's Choice has a sale this month, so that will be my "big" July beauty purchase. I don't need anything else.

Again, finding the products that work for you really makes a huge difference.

July's goal is to step up the donations. Since Better-half and I don't celebrate holidays the traditional way (we don't exchange gifts -- we just eat), I figure holidays are a good excuse to take the money we're not spending on ourselves and donate it to a special cause.

And then I have to match that with a donation of goods from the stash. Every month will have a theme. This month will be the donation of eyeglasses. Monetary donation will be to Pizzas4Patriots. July's theme: Eyes 'n' Pies.

Trusted Contributor

I joined the ComPact last year, and have stuck to my original commitment of not buying any home fragrance items (candles, melts, diffusers, etc.) or bath and body (soaps, lotions, shower gels, etc.). This month is my 1 year anniversary! I'm using July 15 as the anniversary date, because I joined some months after I stopped buying in July of last year, but hadn't paid attention to exactly what date it was.

I have also added skin care and makeup to my list, only buying what I need. In the last year I've only bought mascara, CeraVe cleanser, and some Paula's Choice items that I've been regularly using for a number of years. I have a few backup items, and will see what I can do without once they're used up.

I haven't been keeping track of what I've used up, and only started to in June. I'm not going to keep track of the candles, but just the cosmetics and bath and body stuff.

Last month I used up:

CeraVe cleanser, Paula's Choice Resist Anti-Aging Clear Skin Hydrator, and Paula's Choice 2% BHA liquid.

The using up is slow going. I can't imagine how much more cluttered it would be if I hadn't stopped the madness!

Honored Contributor
On 7/1/2014 Caffeina said:

The using up is slow going. I can't imagine how much more cluttered it would be if I hadn't stopped the madness!

Ain't it the truth?

Happy anniversary!

Trusted Contributor

Good afternoon ladies, hope all is well. I can't believe it is July already.

I started my Spring cleaning late this year and have been de-cluttering as I go. A church by us was having a rummage sale a couple Saturdays ago and took some "stuff" over to them, it was a nice way to get rid of some things from my house. My real challenge will be my upstairs, it has become my "dumping" area. So In will need to declutter a bit up there first. I really don't want to clean things I will be donating.

I have been a little bad on the purchasing end, I really need to quit going into our Ulta store they just opened here. So I will resolve not to go on there until I really need something and not because I am bored. Boredom seems to be my enemy.

Congrats to all of you who did do well and keep up the good work. Have a good afternoon everyone.

Valued Contributor

Happy July Everyone!

Thank you Just Bee for keeping this monthly thread going.

Yes, Caffeina, the using up seems to be incredibly slow for me. I have to wonder now why I have so many products when it takes so long to use them up.

My goal for July is to have more going out than coming in, and to spend 15 minutes a day decluttering/cleaning. Part of my decluttering will be my inbox. I've got over 30,000 emails that have yet to be deleted! Most of those have never been read! {#emotions_dlg.ohmy} I'm also looking at SpringCleaning365.com. It's a helpful site if I can stick to doing the daily tasks.

Good luck all!

Super Contributor
Happy July to all. Hey, Eager, here's what I do with my inbox when it gets too big: I select everything older than a month and hit delete (gasp!). It takes one minute. But I have found that what's lost in a large pile of email like that really can be done without. Think of it like pulling a bandaid off--one quick tug and the pain is gone. ;-) Well, I have finished my transition from the brand of skin care I used for 30 years, and still like, to one that works so much better. That means I've emptied my cupboard and stash of everything I'm not actually using, plus one spare of the basics. I'm done with letting things proliferate like that because it is to valuable to toss. "Valuable" does not equal "has value to me." Since I already did that with household products, I now have a known list of things I inventory. I even turn down gifts and samples if they aren't on the list. This month I'm tackling the dreaded garage. Much to donate or toss; a few antiques valuable enough to sell, but I may donate anyway, just to get 'em outta here. It's a bit overwhelming, I must say. Any words of wisdom for me?
Contributor

Ladies, You are all great inspirations to me and I have been trying to clear out, de-clutter and buy less stuff. I was successful in May and June with two rooms. I am hoping to tackle my closest and my son's bedroom. Since he moved out it has become the dumping grounds. It is full of boxed up items to be given away. I have about three weeks until my next surgery and my mother will be staying in my son's room so I need to get it done.

If any of you ladies have any advice for clothing ideas or choices I would appreciate it. I will be having shoulder surgery and will not be able to move my arm for at least a month. I won't be able to slip anything on over my head and can't wear anything like a bra strap that puts pressure on my shoulder.