Trusted Contributor

Hopefully this is the correct forum. Well, here goes. I was with my sister lately where she was having a series of treatments on her face by a medical aesthetician. (She was a very bad girl and got too much sun.) I digress. I saw a hand written paper posted by the light switch and it read, "Tips are accepted; however, they must be in cash or by check" I was stunned. I asked for clarification of their policy and was told yes, indeed, technicians and nurses will accept tips. However, the medical spa will not put the tip on a credit card. I assume it is due to the fact they must pay 3-5% on that total. Who tips professionals at a Medical facility? Spa or Not. Are these places paying so poorly that, like waiters, they must exist on tips? In addition, the treatments that my sister received were quite pricey. So, the Medical spa did quite well for her transgressions. I guess I wonder, should we tip our gyno next? Or the nurse that gives us our tetanus shot? Where does this end? Oh as an aside, I personally tip my hairdresser a minimum of 20%. And, she has investment homes, a house in Palm Beach, Fla and a house up North. I am thinking, what an underground source of income it is for those that accept tips. Any thoughts?

Honored Contributor

Re: Tipping at a Medical Spa

I do not understand what a medical spa is - is it a spa or a clinic? If it is a placed staffed by nurses and doctors that seems to me to be more of a medical practice - whereas a spa is staffed by technicians like nail techs and massage therapists.

Super Contributor

IKWYM, Deanie! I already pay an up charge to have my Derm. do my injections in her med spa, and I don't even consider tipping her on top of that. When an esthetician in the same med spa does a peel or microdermabrasion, I occasionally add a tip since it's a "beauty" treatment, but I don't tip the RN "nurse injector" either when she does it.

I agree, it's sort of tipping gone wild lately.

Lola
Super Contributor

On 6/23/2014 happy housewife said:

I do not understand what a medical spa is - is it a spa or a clinic? If it is a placed staffed by nurses and doctors that seems to me to be more of a medical practice - whereas a spa is staffed by technicians like nail techs and massage therapists.

In my derm's practice, there are two entrance doors, one to the medical side, one to the spa side -- they are connected, once you're inside. If you have a medical issue (i.e., insurance will be paying), you go on the medical side. If you have an elective, cosmetic service done, you go to the spa side. The same dr. will administer your treatment there, or specially trained RNs and estheticians.

Lola
Honored Contributor

It is at a MD's office if so I would not tip

If its a ""medical spa"" then I would tip

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Respected Contributor

Settle down Deanie. If the procedure is done in a MD office with MD & staff, of course you don't tip. If they have a sign about tipping I would be very skeptical about this type of practice.

However, if you get the procedure in a spa, no MD or MD staff, it's a spa. Tip accordingly.

Trusted Contributor

Thanks for your feedback. It appears that the difference is that one is run by a physician with practices accordingly and one is a regular spa. Well, it appears that this is "blended". I think that like Skylands suggested, to be wary. OBTW, Skylands, do you want to know what Judge Marilyn Milian says that a man should never say to a woman, "settle down?" I wonder what she would say about a woman saying this to another woman? {#emotions_dlg.confused1}

Perhaps the name of the thread needs to be"Tipping gone Wild" as said by WhateverLolaWants. What kind of injections do you get, by the way? I am curious and of a certain age. If you are OK with sharing amongst a few of your closest friends.

Super Contributor

On 6/23/2014 Deanie said:

Thanks for your feedback. It appears that the difference is that one is run by a physician with practices accordingly and one is a regular spa. Well, it appears that this is "blended". I think that like Skylands suggested, to be wary. OBTW, Skylands, do you want to know what Judge Marilyn Milian says that a man should never say to a woman, "settle down?" I wonder what she would say about a woman saying this to another woman? {#emotions_dlg.confused1}

Perhaps the name of the thread needs to be"Tipping gone Wild" as said by WhateverLolaWants. What kind of injections do you get, by the way? I am curious and of a certain age. If you are OK with sharing amongst a few of your closest friends.

Oh, the usual ... for ladies of a certain age ... botox, fillers, you know.

Lola
Trusted Contributor

Thanks WhateverLola wants, I may have to consider something, although, I believe I will look at another Medispa.

Valued Contributor

I go to a Med Spa for my botox and had a recent laser procedure and I did not even consider tipping. The person I see is an Aesthetics RN. To me, this would be like offering a tip to the nurse who does my mammogram.