Frequent Contributor

I did it! I booked an appointment for a Blepharoplasty!

I haven't posted for quite awhile, but wanted to get some advice from women who know. I had my consult and it's a go! I am booked for the 27th. What do I need to do before the surgery ? What should I have on hand for when I come home? I'm having an upper eye lift, lower laser to smooth out the skin & a bit of Botox on my "1" I don't have an 11 but do look like I have angry eyes sometimes. I'm so nervous but excited, too! Thanks in advance for your help & advice!
Super Contributor

Re: I did it! I booked an appointment for a Blepharoplasty!

Hi, and good for you! I had upper and lower done about 2 years ago and continue to be thrilled with the results. I also got Botoxed but because my face is really expressive, my derm wanted my face to be still and not interrupt the healing process post procedure.

You'll no doubt be given advice from your provider about pre-procedure do's and don'ts, what I recall is stopping use of anything that would thin the blood, like some otc pain relievers.

I was told the real final results would be evident in about a year, and that was true for me. I was so happy to be without the undereye bags I'd had for decades, and to have my upper eyelids back.

I used bags of frozen peas in ziplock bags for use after I got home, and my doc gave me arnica to help with bruising, and tubes of Aquaphor to heavily coat the areas all around my eyes, and to keep reapplying. It helps the healing areas to have a protective benign coating.

I didn't really have to stock up on anything (any flexible ice pack thing will work).

I wish you a speedy recovery---are you ready to fall in love with eye makeup again?

Esteemed Contributor

My husband had his upper eyelids done about 2 years ago (he had drooping skin that was impacting his peripheral vision). The flexible cold packs are a must to reduce swelling and bruising. If you have a recliner, that would be good to rest with the cold packs over your eyes. If the place you are having surgery is a good distance from your home, I would even have the cold packs in an igloo tote lunch bucket in the car so you can use them on the ride home as someone else will be driving you home. It's best to recline a bit sitting in the back seat. Be sure you bring sunglasses or Fitovers as you will look swollen and may be developing bruising around your eyes, the cold packs will help ward or minimize that. My husband had the surgery at a hospital and was in and out of there in about an hour and a half, it would have even been less time but they started late. I drove him home from the hospital which was about 40 minutes from where we live.

Super Contributor

I'm not the best one to answer, but just wanted to congratulate you and to remember: So many people regret doing surgery during the recovery period, but EVERYBODY I know ends up saying "It was the best decision I ever made and I wish I would have done it sooner!". I don't think the procedures you're having done will cause that moment of doubt, but if you experience it, just hang on to the knowledge that you'll be SO happy when you're all healed and looking beautiful!

I just had lower eye surgery done (and a nose job) and I really didn't have to do anything at all except remove the packs from my nose. Really, really easy and painless. Hope yours is as well!

Honored Contributor

The surgeon will give you a detailed information sheet on what to do post-surgery......and should call you to find out how you are doing.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Frequent Contributor

Yes, I got all the pre & post op info from the surgeon at my pre op visit. I just know there are very wise women on this board that have oodles of information! The surgery will take place about 1 1/2 hours away from my house, so a good thought to bring ice packs in a cooler! Thanks! I will also get some Tylenol, as I usually take ibuprofen. Thanks, again, ladies. You are the best!!!!
Super Contributor

so wanna do this.... you will have to let us know what happened and the results... congrads

Respected Contributor

I am so excited for you! I am planning on doing it in the fall. I love to go to the lake and the pool so I have to wait til after summer. Can you tell me what its going to cost? I was quoted 4K for upper Bleph. I am in Chicago.

Thanks and good luck to you! So excited!

Trusted Contributor

For the lasered areas, having Bag Balm, Vaseline or the Aquaphor your Doctor already suggested will be invaluable as you need to keep that skin moist and protected at all times. I had the laser surgery done and not sure if yours will be of the same intensity mine was, but keeping the area clean and thoroughly covered with those mentioned above, does help the healing process.

Good Luck and be sure to post back - it can test your patience and tolerance levels but it is so worth it. And the down time goes by fast enough that you will soon be rejoicing in the results and all the rest will be but a brief memory. I did not find the laser surgery particularly painful but rather, inconvenient and annoying, yet it passes pretty quickly and I loved the results.

Super Contributor

You'll love it! It's worth every dollar you'll spend. I keep reading posts from people who want to have creams, serums, lotions to help with the upper and lower eyelids. Nothing works except the procedure you're having. Do bring the frozen peas in a carrier to use on your way home. I bought the small bag of peas which work well. I also saw in CVS "peas" size ice bags that would work great too. I slept in my recliner for the first night and I also did the ice for the first 24 hrs. I also massaged the cutting line after the stitches were removed. Good Luck!{#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}