Frequent Contributor

Tried Philosophy again and now have ton of Milia

I tried philosophy hope in a jar night cream I had a issue a few years back and stopped all philosophy products. Well like a fool I decided to try it again all under and on the sides of my eyes I am filled with milia . Ineed to find a moisturizer that doesnt do this to me any suggestions

Super Contributor

Re: Tried Philosophy again and now have ton of Milia

I'm aware that there is a certain controversy surrounding beauty ingredients CAUSING milia.

I found this one opinion, fwiw:

Mineral Oil is an inexpensive solvent that readily removes make-up from the skin and provides an emollient feel when used as part of a cream emulsion. Unfortunately, it can cause milia in many people, especially when used around the eye area. I always think of Mineral Oil as an oil that just sits on the skin and doesn’t really provide any benefit. There are so many other wonderful oils that I would prefer to use.

Source: http://www.dermalinstitute.com/us/news/?tag=spf

By Skin Q & A with Dr. Diana Howard!

But I'd love to read more data from better evaluated and approved sources.

Super Contributor

I always see this definition of milia:

Milia occur when dead skin becomes trapped in small pockets at the surface of the skin or mouth.

What I can't find an answer to is WHY the dead skin gets trapped. They say babies naturally get milia, which is considered harmless, because their skin has not yet "learned" how to exfoliate, i.e. turn over dead cells.

It can be related to injury or trauma to the skin. Genetics may place a role.

I feel like I have more questions than answers. Oh yeah, I struggle with milia also. {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Super Contributor

YOOOO HOOOOOO!!!!!!!

Calling SQ3 and Irshgrl! Our resident experts on milia.

Esteemed Contributor

I am strictly a Josie M Gal and use all her oils and body butters,ect. with wonderful

results, but I was watching the Philosophy Shows and of course the sales pitch got to me

even though I have had bad experiences with Philosophy products,i was almost going to buy

the huge Purity for washing my face. Then I remembered all the milla I used to get using it

and didn't buy it. I never get milla with Josie's oil's

I'm glad you posted this ,it reinforced my decision NOT to buy Philosophy products again.

Thank you..........

Trusted Contributor

If you run a search for milia in Beauty Banter Forum, there have been many discussions regarding ways to treat milia.
@(-_-)@ ~lyn~
Birman =^..^= Servant
Member since 04.2007

Super Contributor

yooo hooo..

Super Contributor

On 6/15/2014 Irishrose136 said:

YOOOO HOOOOOO!!!!!!!

Calling SQ3 and Irshgrl! {#emotions_dlg.rolleyes} Our resident experts on milia.

This is way off-topic, but could someone explain what the above "smiley" actually means? I've seen it used in different discussions, and sometimes it appears to be used in a playful tongue in cheek kind of way (as in Irish's above post). But sometimes it seems to be used in a "rolling my eyes because what you're saying is so ignorant" kind of way. Sorry to hijack the thread, lol!

Super Contributor

On 6/15/2014 Colonel Meow said:
On 6/15/2014 Irishrose136 said:

YOOOO HOOOOOO!!!!!!!

Calling SQ3 and Irshgrl! {#emotions_dlg.rolleyes} Our resident experts on milia.

This is way off-topic, but could someone explain what the above "smiley" actually means? I've seen it used in different discussions, and sometimes it appears to be used in a playful tongue in cheek kind of way (as in Irish's above post). But sometimes it seems to be used in a "rolling my eyes because what you're saying is so ignorant" kind of way. Sorry to hijack the thread, lol!

Colonel Meow, hi! Very kewl name!!!! Smiley Happy

I can just respond for me. I NEVER use this little gal as a literal "rolling the eyes", like "I mean, REALLY?" (said in best Valley Girl voice)

It's my little "looking up to heaven" for help.....kind of a "Pleeze!!!"......... because you're looking for a favor.

Did I help clear anything up, or just confuse it more........{#emotions_dlg.blink} {#emotions_dlg.laugh} Wink

Super Contributor

To a reply to the OT question...................not sure how dry or oily your skin is. But I like Clinique's regular or gel for oily/combo.

I'm also a MAJOR fan of Paula's Choice. She has a nice variety depending on age, skin condition and what results you want to see.