Valued Contributor

Please help me find a new moisturizer

My skin is changing, and I am finding that moisturizers give me a very unattractive, shiny look after an hour or so. Although I am over 50, I STILL have combination skin that is sensitive and prone to occasionally breakout Smiley Sad

I have tried using the tiniest bit of moisturizer under makeup, but it doesn't seem to help.

Does anyone else have this problem? I would so appreciate any suggestions or recommendations.

Respected Contributor

Re: Please help me find a new moisturizer

Aloe Vera Smile I have Aubrey Organics and Fruit of the earth aloe.

Also, blotting paper or a mattifing primer can be helpful in dealing with a shiny look. Clean and clear has blotting paper and Paula's choice has a good mattifier.

Fruit Of The Earth Aloe Vera 100% Gel, Crystal Clear

Frequent Contributor

Have you tried Dr Denese's day moisturizer? I'm over 50 also, with combination skin. Her moisturizer helps even out skin tone with a nice matte finish. I also love Philosophy's Hope in a jar. The only reason I don't use it regularly is that it doesn't have SPF (they do make one with SPF, but I really like the original one in the jar). It sinks into skin and is not greasy or shiny. I tried the a First Aid Beauty day lotion, while it feels nice and is hydrating, the finish on my skin is too tacky for me.
Honored Contributor

Have you looked at Paula's Choice? She has a moisturizer for combination sensitive skin. I haven't tried it but she says it doesn't shine or feel greasy. http://www.paulaschoice.com/shop/skin-care-categories/moisturizers/_/Hydralight-Moisture-Infusing-Lo...

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

We have the same skin! It is a lot of trial & error to see what works for your skin, but what I finally found is using Avalon Organics Vit C Renewal Serum (it evened out my skin tone & it helps to keep me matte, then Boscia Oil Free Daily Hydration SPF15. It gives me light hydration, but controls my oil. I also have to use liquid foundation. Powder/mineral foundations don't give me oil control & they disappear in about 2-3 hours. Mac Prep+Prime CC Colour Correctors are amazing for oil control, but I can't use it every day or it breaks me out, but most things break me out so that's not new.

Honored Contributor

Take a look at acure Organics. Go to their website as they have a skin type guide to help you select what you need. I use the day cream, night cream, line eraser and love their lavender body lotion (smells like you are in a field of lavender). Prices are under $20 and the products I think are quality at reasonable prices. My skin has taken on a new look since I have been using for the better. P.S. You can purchase at iherb.com or luckyvitamin.com for discounted prices too.

kindness is strength
Trusted Contributor

What many women will use if creamy type moisturizers are too heavy for their skin is a hydrating spray mist. There are some that really do hydrate the skin quite well and just enough plus they absorb very well so no tell tales signs after using. Nothing greasy or shiny.

The other option would be to use a hydrating serum - again, no greasy or shiny residue yet the skin gets adequate hydration. These can work quite well on combo or oily skin and as a layering product for dry skin complexions.

Super Contributor

maybe you find this link interesting..http://goo.gl/1fXzvi

Super Contributor

I like Olay Regenerist and the Neutrogena line. Clinique is good, too.

Super Contributor

Clinique Moisturizing GEL. I have a friend in her mid 50s with your type skin and she swear by the stuff.