Valued Contributor

Has anyone tried Joan's Great Hair Day . . .

in the salt and pepper shade?

I have used GHD in blonde and loved it, but I am starting to get gray and wondered if salt and pepper might be a better match.

On my computer screen it looks more "pepper" than "salt" and I am hoping it won't be too light.

My hair is basically light brown, but I probably have about 14% gray.

Any suggestions?

Respected Contributor

Re: Has anyone tried Joan's Great Hair Day . . .

My understanding is that the blond is the default color, so I don't think you can go wrong sticking with that one. I would think the S&P is for mostly gray. It will interesting to hear from someone that uses it.

On a different note - This product is a must have for me, but it puzzles me why QVC can't do better on the price. I've been using it since Joan first introduced it, and that was the last time I purchased it from the Q because several other retailers sell it for less. There are also knock offs of it, but I haven't tried any of those, even tho I've seen positive comments here on about that.

Honored Contributor

Yes, I use it and do like it alot. I also have the same color hair that you do but maybe more of the"pepper' than the salt but still a light to med brown mixed in. I use the brunette as I thought the salt and pepper would be too light for me. I lost my hair to chemo and when it grew back it became this weird mix of colors and a very light color scalp as the hair is much thinner and finer now. I use it on my brows too. I still have alot left over after almost a year. Only use it when I go out and not everyday. I would order the default color to try and then send it back if its not right.

Super Contributor

I haven't tried JR, but I have tried one of the "knock-offs"...the one at Sally Beauty; I think it's a Claudia Stevens brand. The compact comes with two colors, but I think it's only available in three overall colors: black, brown, and blonde. Like I said, each compact comes with two complimentary shades of whatever overall shade you choose. It also comes with a little "stippling" brush. It only costs $10. It is fabulous! A little bit goes a long way. I mainly use mine to cover grays (mainly along my partline) b/t coloring, but I do have a little thinning along my temples. It works great on both counts, and it doesn't flake off. If you have a Sally near you, check it out if you are one of the shades listed above. For $10, you can hardly go wrong.

Honored Contributor

I have used this product on an occasional basis so far (and will probably shift into using it more often). It does what she advertises it to do -- and, it has no odor. Really, none whatsoever. I am a brunette, if that helps.

Respected Contributor

I also had spotty hair growth after chemo. Back is thick and dark, crown is very thin and white. I use the S&P sometimes, not everyday but I should. I think it's dark and have wondered about changing to the blonde. The S&P is a darker gray.

Respected Contributor

I used it on my moms hair, & it worked great. She had radiation treatments, so her hair thinned quite a bit. This made her hair look "normal" again. It didn't smear on her pillow, & it stayed until I washed it out. I was so happy I got it for her.

Respected Contributor

I tried Joan's but I totally prefer the TRUHAIR by Chelsea Scott from HSN. It has the brush built in and is WAY easier to apply. Also you can purchase refills for the brush applicator. Great product!

Super Contributor

On 6/13/2014 crush said:

I haven't tried JR, but I have tried one of the "knock-offs"...the one at Sally Beauty; I think it's a Claudia Stevens brand. The compact comes with two colors, but I think it's only available in three overall colors: black, brown, and blonde. Like I said, each compact comes with two complimentary shades of whatever overall shade you choose. It also comes with a little "stippling" brush. It only costs $10. It is fabulous! A little bit goes a long way. I mainly use mine to cover grays (mainly along my partline) b/t coloring, but I do have a little thinning along my temples. It works great on both counts, and it doesn't flake off. If you have a Sally near you, check it out if you are one of the shades listed above. For $10, you can hardly go wrong.

Crush, I just bought it recently & I agree its excellent for covering grey regrowth & for only $10 w the brush. I use to use Color Mark Professional with a wand, expensive & messy. Sallys is also a fill in but I haven't tryed Joan's & no need to as this works well for gray regrowth between coloring also.

Super Contributor

I used Joan's product for years (light brunette and used "blonde"). To answer your specific question, I would not go with the "salt 'n pepper" shade.'

BTW, I do not use this product since I found WOW hair powder. For me, it is so much better. I even do my brows with it.