Super Contributor

Eye surgery for macular h*le

Has anyone had eye surgery for a macular h*le? I'm going for a consult this week and I'm petrified.

~SEA~

Honored Contributor

Re: Eye surgery for macular h*le

It's a serious condition that needs to be taken care of immediately. My cousin had it done last January. The initial recovery is ""difficult""......having to lie face down for the first week. She regained all her vision in a short time.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Frequent Contributor

Yep! About four years ago. Surgery was pain free. I was able to manage the many and various eye drops on my own post-op. The dr.'s office should put you in touch with a supplier who can sell you some speciality items to help ease the lying face down thing. There is also equipment you can rent but I never used the extra equipment I ordered. Please, Seaswirl, just ask if there's anymore you'd like to know. It is scary but the most important thing is to have it treated right away.
Super Contributor

IF the hole is small enough you may be able to avoid surgery and have it treated with a relatively new drug that's injected. I had a family member that was able to do this and it was successful.

I had to do the "face down" recovery from a vitrectomy for a detached retina. It's a very similar procedure to what's done for a macular hole. I was told 10-14 days and after 9 days I was able to be up for short periods. I rented an equipment package that included a chair that looked very much like a massage chair. I spent most of my time sitting there as it had a tray that I placed a "magic mirror" on so that I could watch TV. It was a sanity saver. It wasn't fun and I never want to do it again, but I made it through it. If you have a gas bubble placed in your eye and still have your natural lense, it's extremely important to maintain the face down positioning so that the bubble doesn't touch your lense. That can cause a cataract or glaucoma.

If you're on Facebook, there are a couple of support groups that are very helpful.

Super Contributor

I went for a second opinion....my surgery is scheduled for July 16. I'm so worried about maintaining the face down posture for a week. Any tips if you've had this surgery?

Super Contributor

What about bathing and going potty? Are these allowed?

Super Contributor

On 6/19/2014 Kind1too said:

What about bathing and going potty? Are these allowed?

I was allowed to take a very brief shower (5 minutes or less) daily. I could wash my hair, but had to make sure I didn't get water in my eye. I had to maintain the face down position at all other times, including using the restroom. That's probably the easiest part of the recovery. I could get up, stretch and walk around, but I had to keep my head down while doing it. Honestly, you're not going to go anywhere, except perhaps a doc visit. Showering was the least of my interests for the first few days.

Honored Contributor

Never heard of it until someone told me she is taking her DH tomorrow for this condition. She's already worried that he will not follow the doctor's orders as he is an active person who likes to keep moving.

Super Contributor

Pray you are healed and will not need surgery. If you are alone it will be so hard and you have to keep your head down 7-14 days and it is bad but I know our Savior can heal your eyes and it only be a mackual pucker only.

Frequent Contributor

Seaswirl , let us know how your'e doing.