Frequent Contributor

Hello Beauties!

I was recently at Sephora looking for a new moisturizer. The SA told me that Algenist is the same as La Mer but at a fraction of the cost, because they are both algae based.

Thoughts on this?

Super Contributor

I tried the LaMer cream a few years ago and wasn't impressed with the results. I am now using Algenist and like the products but I'm not sure I can say it has made that much of a difference. Some lines are softer and it works better than Philosophy in the eye area.

Esteemed Contributor

That's because they don't sell LaMer.

I've tried both and can't say enough about how awesome LaMer truly is. Have used it for decades, as has my mother, and we both have remarkably unlined skin. It's not only the cream, but I do think they're onto something!

Fortēs fortūna adjuvat
Occasional Contributor
There is really nothing like La Mer and I have tried everything. Tatcha (Renewal cream) comes closest to LM, not because they are the same, but because they work so well on my skin. I received a deluxe sample of Algenist and it was in no way like La Mer (at least for my skin). I find that because La Mer is so rich the 1oz size lasts as long as larger sizes of other less expensive (but not as effective) creams. If you haven't tried La Mer, it's easy to dismiss the wonders it works because of its price.
Frequent Contributor

Hi!

I have not tried LaMer. I would like to try it before shelling out 150.00 for 1 ounce.

Kougra, how long does a 1 ounce jar last for you?

Esteemed Contributor
On 5/24/2014 mommy4 said:

Hi!

I have not tried LaMer. I would like to try it before shelling out 150.00 for 1 ounce.

You can ask for a sample at Neimans, Saks, etc. and probably get one from their website too.

A one-ounce jar lasts me about 3 months.

Fortēs fortūna adjuvat
Valued Contributor

I've used La Mer for over 20 years and tried a few products from the Algenist line (due to the algae content). In my opinion, they are not comparable. My skin was sensitized by Algenist (which was quickly reversed by using La Mer). I understand that it doesn't work for everyone but I truly believe it's an extraordinary product and hope never to be without it!

Frequent Contributor
On 5/24/2014 gardensla said:

Hi!

You can ask for a sample at Neimans, Saks, etc. and probably get one from their website too.

A one-ounce jar lasts me about 3 months.

Thank you for your response. WOW, 3 months. That's great!

I live by an outlet mall, which has the cosmetics company store. I know I've seen LaMer there so I called them to ask how much a 1 ounce jar is. They said they cannot tell me prices over the phone but they discount everything 20% off.

I think I'm going to go get a jar there and try it.

Occasional Contributor

Hi!

When I first started using La Mer I had to drive 35 miles to Saks and get samples. My local Nordstrom doesn't carry it in the store, only online. Now I order from the LM site. They know it's expensive so they are generous with samples. The little pot of cream from Saks lasted at least a week and they gave me 2. I use it only at night and the 1oz lasts 3 mo. I use Tatcha in the AM. They have different consistencies, but my mature skin wants the original. My daughter in her 30's also prefers the original.
Frequent Contributor
On 5/24/2014 kougra said:

Hi!

When I first started using La Mer I had to drive 35 miles to Saks and get samples. My local Nordstrom doesn't carry it in the store, only online. Now I order from the LM site. They know it's expensive so they are generous with samples. The little pot of cream from Saks lasted at least a week and they gave me 2. I use it only at night and the 1oz lasts 3 mo. I use Tatcha in the AM. They have different consistencies, but my mature skin wants the original. My daughter in her 30's also prefers the original.

Kougra, thank you for the information. Most helpful!