Valued Contributor

I put sunscreen over a full face of makeup!

I was in a hurry. I had applied sunscreen earlier in the morning but needed to reapply. I was going to be outside. I didn't want to have to take off my make up and start over so applied it all over. Even over my setting spray from this morning. It's Neutrogena with 55 SPF. I really looked flawless. I was afraid I'd get oily so I brushed on some blotting powder in my t-zone. It's 2 hours later. I've been outside and it still looks good. In case you were wondering if you could do this, yes you can!
Super Contributor

Re: I put sunscreen over a full face of makeup!

I always mix sunscreen in palm of my hand put my foundation on top then I mix it all together in my hand.Always works for me and my foundation alwasys goes twice as far.
Respected Contributor

Thanks for sharing. I never knew if I should try putting it on over makeup or if it would just make a mess, not that I wear that much makeup anyway.

Honored Contributor

I always wear sunscreen under any foundation, but it's nice to know I can do this too -especially when I'm going to be out in the hot sun with makeup on! Smile

Contributor

I did the same thing today- use Josie Maran and it was fine. I won't hesitate again- much better than a sunburn...

Valued Contributor

Glad it could help! It won't be my first choice when putting on my make up in the morning but I won't hesitate to do it mid afternoon when I need a touch up. I was surprised I kind of had a glow. It looked great but it did feel a little heavy. That's okay though. I'd rather be protected and not have to redo my make up, or worse go without! I have Josie's too so I will be sure to try hers as well. Thanks roxyrn.
Valued Contributor

On 5/22/2014 olewoman said: I always mix sunscreen in palm of my hand put my foundation on top then I mix it all together in my hand.Always works for me and my foundation alwasys goes twice as far.
Great tip! I'll try that tomorrow. Thanks.
Honored Contributor

FYI: The actual mixing of sunscreen and foundation together is not a good idea. It can dilute the effectiveness of the sunscreen.

I think applying a full layer of sunscreen over makeup, though, should not be a problem.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Super Contributor

But I don't understand? *knocks dim head*

How can you put a liquid over a liquid without messing the 1st layer up?

Frequent Contributor

Is your sunscreen physical or chemical? If its chemical, it needs to be applied under makeup so that it can absorb properly. Chemical sunscreens won't be effective over makeup.