Frequent Contributor

Trish McEvoy Eyeliner application

I did not order the TS on HSN but I do enjoy watching Trish's make-up tips. I did get one of her gel eyeliner pencils as a free gift with order on her website. I tried to apply the eyeliner as she showed on HSN yesterday - by lifting the lid and applying it right at the lash line. I made a mess of it. I guess my eyes are "too blinky," but I just couldn't get the eyeliner that close to my eyeball. Anyone else have problems with that application method? Any tips?

Respected Contributor

Re: Trish McEvoy Eyeliner application

Don't feel bad, Daisy, I don't get it either. Maybe someone has had success but for me it was just too hard plus it felt very weird.

Honored Contributor

No, I don't have that issue as long as I hold the eyelid in place to do that (I don't know what technique she showed since I didn't watch it). Oddly, one eye I can easily do without even holding the eyelid (freehand application) but the other eye is too blinky so I have to hold it in place.

I got the sample too- first time trying her eyeliners and any gel eyeliner- and I think that eyeliner applies so incredibly smoothly so it really makes tightlining a breeze, especially compared to eyeliner pencils or pens. However, I did notice my eyes get irritated within an hour of wearing it. Smiley Sad

Honored Contributor

Daislypap, there are two ways of doing it; one is not possible for me (probably the way you're doing it) and the other is how someone else showed me.

You know how we have the waterline on our lower eye? I can't one there either because it's smeary and makes my eyes water. Many can, though, and if you look under your lashes on the upper lid, you'll see that waterline there. DON'T LINE THERE.

Instead: Look at yourself in the mirror. Now look to your nose, open your eye wide and line JUST UNDER THE LASHES. You don't need much as the effect is almost instant. As you move the pencil towards you nose, shift looking over to your shoulder; then line to your inner eye.

It may sound weird but it will look identical, will last all day AND will not bother your eyes at all. I wear contacts..if I line at all on the waterline, it will transfer to them. It NEVER transfers this way.

Basically, you're lining into the lash line just like you would on the TOP of your lid but..from underneath.

HTH and good luck : )

Super Contributor

For me it also helps if you keep the pencil sharpened - a pointed tip is always easier when I do it (and I love how this looks on my eyes).

Valued Contributor

I LOVE the eyeliner, buy I wear it normally. I don't like that particular technique I do like to line my lower waterline, but I use a different waterproof liner for that.

Esteemed Contributor

She did that dotted thing first- showing how simple application was! (not!) But then on the same demo did a standard line with another product. Either/or doesn't work for me, I have the shakes!

Valued Contributor

On 4/28/2014 HappyDaze said:

I got the sample too- first time trying her eyeliners and any gel eyeliner- and I think that eyeliner applies so incredibly smoothly so it really makes tightlining a breeze, especially compared to eyeliner pencils or pens. However, I did notice my eyes get irritated within an hour of wearing it. Smiley Sad

I'm glad you mentioned this. I also had the same reaction. I really wanted to like it, but it irritated my eyes. I used it several times just to make sure it wasn't something else like allergies, but each time my eyes would get red and watery within a short time of wearing it.

I did try the method with an NYC eyeliner and it looked very nice. I'm going to try sahmlam's method.

Frequent Contributor

Thanks for the tips everyone. I am glad I am not the only one unable to line the way Trish does. I am going to try Sahmlam's tip above!

Super Contributor

I find that it's just as easy to get Trish's effect if you line between the lashes from the top side, not underneath as she does it. When I do it her way I end up with liner on the waterline where it's not supposed to be.

Her gel pencils come with a smudger on the other end, you can use that to even out your line. Her sample pencils don't have the smudger, but a lot of d/s brands have it. I got mine when she sent her samples plus free mystery gift--that was the mystery gift.