Super Contributor

GEL NAIL POLISH- Pros and Cons

I have been wearing Gel Nail Polish for the last two years and love it. I don't have to worry about smearing and breaking as much. I used to get a regular manicure and go out to start my car and Bam! I nicked my nail and was heartbroken. Now, I can do pretty much do what I want for approx. 2 weeks or until my nail grows away from my cuticle and starts looking ugly and then I know it is time to refresh. What is your opinion?

Respected Contributor

Re: GEL NAIL POLISH- Pros and Cons

Glad that it works for you. It did major damage to my nails. I started using regular polish (OPI is my favorite) with Revlon Colorstay Base and Topcoat and my polish can last up to 7 days. Someone on this board recommended using Hard As Hoofs Cream and that has improved my nails beyond what I even could dream of. My nails have grown and are hard. Many people on here do like gels but just did not work for me.

Esteemed Contributor

I won't even try using gel nail system. It's too much of a hassle to remove. I do my own nails with regular polish and it usually lasts for two weeks before I have to change it.
Honored Contributor

My 80 year old mother uses gel polish on her toes, and it seems to be working fine. No complaints as yet. This is the only option for her as far as not messing up her pedicure. Mom doesn't walk very well in flip flops, and even tho she wears the flip flops when her toes are painted, she never fails to mess up regular polish before she can get home. As long as I get her back for nail trim within 4 weeks, she is getting 6-7 weeks out of a gel pedicure.

Super Contributor

I love how it lasts and it's perfect for vacation where I can just forget about it for two weeks. I've never had any problems removing it; I do it myself at home with acetone, cotton pads and tinfoil. No nail damage. It is just an occasional treat though, not a regular manicure for me.

Honored Contributor

l would love to have my mani stay perfect for 2 weeks, but not worth the risk of damage to my very nice natural nails.

Regular Contributor

Question--what difference does it make what happens to your natural nails? They are being done to look good for you and will get back to normal after a while when you take off or stop using whatever. If the natural nail were so good in the first place, you probably wouldn't be having anything done to them to begin with. You are not permanently deforming part of your body, and having well-maintained, manicured hands is important to a person's overall appearance. The argument that someone doesn't want to do anything to her nails because of the damage that can be done just seems kind of without merit.

Trusted Contributor

I love gel manicures. I have a standing appointment every three weeks at a nearby spa. I'm lucky to have found a great manicurist there. I like my nails short and dark. Right now, I'm wearing Inner Vixen (?sp) which is one of my favorite shades.

Contributor

The original question concerns gel nail polish not gel nails. I have good nails but tried the gel nail polishes that last two weeks, then you remove with acetone and get another gel nail polish because as your nail grows out you don't fill since it is polish and not a gel nail. After I had mine done every 2 weeks for 3-4 months my nails got very weak and broke easily and peeled. I stopped having gel polish manicures and they grew out over 6 months and were ok. Now I use regular polish and just do the gel every couple of months for a special occasion or vacation. I know people who have been doing gel polish manicures for years (mostly using shellac the creative nail designs brand or one called gellish) and have not had this problem. It seems to vary by the person. I have dry skin and nails anyway, so maybe that was my problem. I have never had the gel nails that are like fake nails because my nails are ok with regular polish. I had shellac when I had my gel polish done.
On 4/27/2014 mandymom said:

Question--what difference does it make what happens to your natural nails? They are being done to look good for you and will get back to normal after a while when you take off or stop using whatever. If the natural nail were so good in the first place, you probably wouldn't be having anything done to them to begin with. You are not permanently deforming part of your body, and having well-maintained, manicured hands is important to a person's overall appearance. The argument that someone doesn't want to do anything to her nails because of the damage that can be done just seems kind of without merit.

Trusted Contributor

From wellnesstoday.com but I have also seen similar info elsewhere.

"Are there other risks associated with gel manicures?

Definitely.

Because of the UV light exposure, getting gel manicures regularly has also been linked to premature aging, wrinkling and spotting on your hands.

Removing the polish involves soaking or wrapping the nails in acetone for 10-15 minutes and then scrapping the remaining polish, which can cause nails to become thin, brittle and dry."