Frequent Contributor

O/T: Ever reinvent yourself and start a new life?

Ever have to start over from scratch and begin a new life? Would love to hear your stories.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: O/T: Ever reinvent yourself and start a new life?

Probably not the way you mean........ but after I retired, I went back to school and started a new career doing something I love: gardening. My "casual" life these days is so much different than the corporate world I used to live in. Not as much $$$, but I'm happier and stress-free.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Super Contributor

You mean, like enter the witness protection program?

{#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Super Contributor

On 4/26/2014 tototwo said:

Probably not the way you mean........ but after I retired, I went back to school and started a new career doing something I love: gardening. My "casual" life these days is so much different than the corporate world I used to live in. Not as much $$$, but I'm happier and stress-free.

I feel the same way! I retired after major surgery last June. I realized during the three month healing phase after surgery, that the job I had done for 23 years was making me so sad and unhappy. I dreaded going every day and only did it as I worried what we would do without my income. Well, we do just fine on one income!~ and it has taught me what is important in my life and what is not. We can do with a lot less! I wake up each day with joy now instead of dread. I feel relaxed, calm, I have time to work on ME now and focus on health and happiness. My husband who will retire soon anyway, also has less worry's as he does not have to come home and do a bunch of chores anymore. I do them gladly! He comes home, relaxes and has less stress before going to bed. It is all very good!

Contributor

Yes, at age 51. I quit my job (a career I had for many years), sold my house and moved from the east coast to Arizona (where I knew virtually no one). I didn't do it on a whim - I thought about it for many years. There were scary moments along the way but it was the right decision for me - definitely. I needed to launch my life in a new direction and knew that wouldn't happen unless I did something radical. The best decision I ever made. My life is completely different now. Happily married - my husband & I have moved a couple of times enjoying many new experiences along the way. Wishing you the best of luck with whatever you decide. Expect some rough spots along with way but have confidence in knowing you can create a new path.
Contributor

Yes, at age 51. I quit my job (a career I had for many years), sold my house and moved from the east coast to Arizona (where I knew virtually no one). I didn't do it on a whim - I thought about it for many years. There were scary moments along the way but it was the right decision for me - definitely. I needed to launch my life in a new direction and knew that wouldn't happen unless I did something radical. The best decision I ever made. My life is completely different now. Happily married - my husband & I have moved a couple of times enjoying many new experiences along the way. Wishing you the best of luck with whatever you decide. Expect some rough spots along with way but have confidence in knowing you can create a new path.
Super Contributor

On 4/26/2014 Rununculus said:

You mean, like enter the witness protection program?

{#emotions_dlg.laugh}

LOL...that's what I thought she meant too! {#emotions_dlg.w00t} Guess I've been reading too many James Patterson books. No...I haven't had to go to that extent in my life yet! I just hope they don't stick me on a farm if I ever do need to enter the Witness Protection Program.

Some people do drugs. I do shoes....Celine Dion
Esteemed Contributor

Yep, have done it!

Do your homework before you decide on making serious changes. Especially if it involves going back to school, selling your home, relocating, etc.

If you're thinking about the geographical cure I've done it and it does have it's plus side. I did it after a bad breakup with someone I'd been with for years. It was refreshing not to run into the same faces in town.Your friends & family probably aren't going to like it, nor will they visit often, no matter what they say.

If you have children, consider what's best for them as well. If it's moving, they'll get over it. Most kids now FB, Instagram, etc more than chat it up in person.

At times it can be challenging sticking to your plans and not looking in the rear view mirror.

It's not like the Lifetime movie where the woman without any means of support moves into the fabulous home at the lake's edge and falls in love with the hunk of a handyman. {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

I believe there is a life we are meant to live. Your mission is to find it. {#emotions_dlg.wub}

Trusted Contributor

Unless you mean it in a figurative way, I can't imagine. I have children and parents and friends and a support network that I love and cherish. So, picking up and leaving all that behind to start fresh, not for me. I do realize that many are not that lucky and so starting fresh may be appealing. I did start a new career about 8 years ago where I had to reinvent myself but not sure that is what you mean.
Valued Contributor

We had to move to GA and thought we could start over with our life. When we cleaned out our house we threw away a lot of things. We thought we could start over. Well, after 3 yrs. my husband retired and we moved near our daughter. There was no way we could meet people our age so we moved back to our hometown. We knew almost every body here and are much happier. So starting over means something different to every body. Just do it your way.