Valued Contributor

Nude vs bright polish on older hands?

OK, I understand the argument for nude tones as it calls less attention to the hands, but to be honest these pale colors I feel draw attention to texture issues and spots of older hands. It's like nude lipsticks look better on smooth, even toned skin. You put a nude lipstick on blotchy skin with redness and it looks terrible, where as a bright berry lipstick looks much better and plays down the redness in contrast. The argument for bright colors is that it seems to make the color of the hands look better, and clearer, and the eye is drawn to the bright color and maybe not so much the spots and crepiness. I've just applied a light pink nude and it's really not that flattering. I seem to like my hands better with more color on the nails. What do you think?

Honored Contributor

Re: Nude vs bright polish on older hands?

I think wear what makes you happy.

Nails that are manicured and hands that are moisturized make a bigger impact than nail color, IMO.

Valued Contributor

I wear what I like but do to pale skin I don't care for dark colors. Bright I can do but dark polishes don't look good on my skin and makes my nails look shorter. I like nudes and brights. Lately I've been sporting a sparkling yellow. Smiley Happy.
Respected Contributor

Just my opinion, but the brighter and/or unexpected colors definitely draw attention to older hands. My hands are almost 80, and they don't need that much attention anymore. Glad I have them, and glad they still work, but I don't think the world gives a rats rump about seeing them. There are veins and a few age spots (trying to fade them) but nothing really pretty.

So for me, there aren't going to be any darker shades, and no blues, greens, greys, etc. I prefer to stick with the lighter pinks - not nude. And light corals. I find them attractive and not so attention drawing. At this age, I want to look age appropriate and as classic and classy as possible. And I don't think those brights and unusual shades help me do that. I think they make me look as though I am trying to be soothing I'm not - young!

Respected Contributor

I think you have a point, Blondelle.

The most important thing though is to have an impeccable manicure. That goes for any age, IMO.

Honored Contributor

I like nude colors on the fingernails and fun colors on the toes. When it comes to lipstick, I am in the middle. Too bright - not for me & too nude makes me look washed out as I do not wear a lot of eye makeup so I like lipstick colors that are in the middle which are not too bright and definitely not nude.

kindness is strength
Super Contributor

IMO, older hands look better with nude or natural colors, but it comes down to personal preference, if older women think their hands look good in bright colors, go for it!

I think a lot of it has to do with the shape of the nail, not just the skin on hands. Long elegant nail beds tend to look better in brighter colors, shorter nails (the nail itself, not the length) look better in a nude tone.

I prefer a nude color, not only because I think it looks better, but it lasts longer. Tiny chips or wear are very noticeable in bright/dark colors, not so much in nudes.

Super Contributor

In my own experience I think it looks really pretty to have bright colored nails on older hands. I don't think it draws attention to bad stuff, it makes the hands look very pretty. I think nude colors look good on some, but not on everyone, and if there are many imperfections on the hands, nude nails just make them look worse IMO.

Super Contributor

I think it has more to do with your complexion tone than it does with age. Nudes and pastels are not flattering, for the most part, on me. If nude lipstick doesn't flatter you, odds are a nude polish won't either.

I do better with darks and brighter, saturated color. An impeccable manicure is really the most important thing.

Super Contributor

I think nude colors are OK as long as they are pearlized. The nude matte is something I don't "get" whether it be on a 20-something or 90-something person. Also, I like to wear just one coat of nail polish, especially those shear color ones. It may be strange to some, but all I want is some color on my nails. Smiley Surprised)