Super Contributor

How Much Do You Tip Your Stylist and/or Nail Tech?

Now that I'm changing to a salon/spa where the people I'm tipping are not salon owners, I'm not sure what to tip.

Getting an acrylic fill for $25........Tip?

Getting a cut & style for $45?

Then there are times when you'll add waxing, coloring, hilites etc?

Super Contributor

Re: How Much Do You Tip Your Stylist and/or Nail Tech?

I'd settled into a pattern of tipping 20% and sometimes more, because I knew the woman doing my hair was struggling in the bad economy and esp with a new baby. I'm going to dial it back to 15-20%.

20% seems avg for big cities and 15% for small towns, according to this article: http://www.ivillage.com/how-much-tip-salon/5-a-146727.

Esteemed Contributor

I am an overtipper probably but I wouldn't do less than 20% if you are happy. I have worked in service related fields that depend on tipping (stylist, aesthetician and server) and I probably over tip because of that.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Honored Contributor

20% at least. BTW to the OP, tipping salon owners is standard practice now a days. Unless an owner refuses (I have never known any) they are to be tipped the same as a regular stylist.

acryllic fills for 25, I would tip 5, at least.

cut and style for 45.00? about 9.00 to 12 dollars minimum. 45 for a cut and style is a good price. A cut here runs 60 to 125. Style is extra in most salons here unless you get color or highlights as well. If you are a regular, and a good tipper, they may include it.

Super Contributor

So you tip the same as you would for a server in a restaurant?

Super Contributor

On 4/23/2014 shoekitty said:

20% at least. BTW to the OP, tipping salon owners is standard practice now a days. Unless an owner refuses (I have never known any) they are to be tipped the same as a regular stylist.

acryllic fills for 25, I would tip 5, at least.

cut and style for 45.00? about 9.00 to 12 dollars minimum. 45 for a cut and style is a good price. A cut here runs 60 to 125. Style is extra in most salons here unless you get color or highlights as well. If you are a regular, and a good tipper, they may include it.

Shoekitty, I didn't mean to imply that I didn't tip my stylist/owner. That would be rude, now wouldn't it. No, but I did however tip less than when in a large salon where you tip a girl who washes hair, the stylist who cuts & colors, a different stylist who did the perm etc.

Super Contributor

I tip 20%. I think that is fair unless I have something special done. I used to be very generous with tipping like 25% to 30%. I found it made no difference in the service. One time the owner of the salon hit on me. He used to do my highlights and color. I tipped him extremely well and he happily accepted. I was always his last customer out the door and one night the lights went out as we were leaving and he grabbed me and tried to kiss me. Never went back.

Super Contributor

On 4/23/2014 moonstone dunes said:

I tip 20%. I think that is fair unless I have something special done. I used to be very generous with tipping like 25% to 30%. I found it made no difference in the service. One time the owner of the salon hit on me. He used to do my highlights and color. I tipped him extremely well and he happily accepted. I was always his last customer out the door and one night the lights went out as we were leaving and he grabbed me and tried to kiss me. Never went back.

Sounds like he wanted to "tip" you in return moonstone.............{#emotions_dlg.lol}

Sorry. No offense. Had I been in your situation - it must have been frightening and scary, alone with him. Glad you weren't harmed. Smiley Happy

Regular Contributor

Overtipper here. Not one to answer. My salon treats me so wonderfully, down to the sweet girl who sweeps the floors making sure I have my cookie and grapefruit juice. When I walk in the door, they all treat me special. I treat them special back.