Valued Contributor

Did anyone just hear MBR say...?

That the JM body butter has "no chemicals" in it? I really am not one to call out hosts or presenters for stuff like this, but this is clearly not true. It's just one of those things that I think can really affect buyers who perhaps don't know to read ingredient labels. Of course the body butter has chemicals in it! Perhaps the better thing to have said is that it's not formulated with HARSH chemicals, or say what's NOT in it. I'm just sometimes surprised that hosts are not told to correct what they said. Anyhoo, maybe I'm being overly picky, but I had to comment. Smiley Happy
Trusted Contributor

Re: Did anyone just hear MBR say...?

I was just looking at the video ((another thread on fashion about JM dress last night, beautiful). I read the ingredient list and it is full of oils and fragrance. The 2nd to last ingredient not sure about but doesnt seem like a chemical.
Esteemed Contributor

Can you list the chemicals in it ,please.

Valued Contributor

Well, off hand I don't know the chemical names, but I looked at the ingredient list. Unless it's just pure Argan oil, it HAS to have chemicals in it, right? I'm going to try and copy and paste.
Valued Contributor

Aloe Barbadensis (ORGANIC Aloe Vera) Leaf Juice, Sclerotium Gum, Argania Spinosa Kernal (ORGANIC Argan) Oil, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride (Plant Derived), Helianthus Annuus (ORGANIC Sunflower) Seed Oil, Natural Vegetable Glycerin, Coco-Caprylate/Caprate, Glyceryl Stearate (Plant Derived), Butyrospermum Parkii (ORGANIC Shea Butter), Polysorbate-60 (Plant Derived), Vanilla Planifolia (Vanilla Bean) Fruit Extract, Persea Gratissima (ORGANIC Avocado) Oil, Beta Carotene, Ethylhexylglycerin (Plant Derived Preservative), Tocopherol (Antioxidant), Prunus Armeniaca (Apricot) Fruit Extract, Aniba Rosaeodora (Rosewood) Wood Oil, Citrus Aurantifolia (Lime) Fruit Extract, Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Orange) Fruite Extract, Citrus Grandis (Grapefruit) Fruit Extract, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Symphytum Officinale (Comfrey) Leaf Extract, Matcha Tea Extract, Camellia Sinensis (White Tea) Leaf Extract, Allantoin, Panthenol (Pro-Vitamin B5), Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Extract.
Valued Contributor

Ok, I don't see anything egregious in there-parabans, etc. However, doesn't chemical-free imply that something doesn't have anything other than the main, "natural" ingredient in it? And aren't naturally-occurring ingredients still chemicals, per se? Can any ingredient experts out there chime in? I just think saying something has "no chemicals" in it is not correct?
Trusted Contributor

On 4/23/2014 glmama said: Ok, I don't see anything egregious in there-parabans, etc. However, doesn't chemical-free imply that something doesn't have anything other than the main, "natural" ingredient in it? And aren't naturally-occurring ingredients still chemicals, per se? Can any ingredient experts out there chime in? I just think saying something has "no chemicals" in it is not correct?

Chemical-free does not mean that something "doesn't have anything other than the main ingredient". You can have more than ingredient and still be chemical free.

The definition of chemical is "A compound or substance that has been purified or prepared, especially artificially".

From the ingredient list, at first it does look like this product could be described as chemical free since the ingredients are natural oils, seed extracts, leaf juice etc. The list though also includes a couple of items listed as plant derived. If that plant derived process or the prep of the other ingredients includes some sort of purification then, by definition, it would be a chemical, but that might be nitpicking.

Perhaps a better way to describe it would be to say all the ingredients are from natural plant, fruit & vegetable sources or something like that. Overall the ingredients look more natural than what you find in a lot of similar products.

Valued Contributor

Thanks so much for your reply, scot. Yes, I agree that this product in particular DOES look better than many others. Which is great (and btw, I use and really like a bunch of JM products, so I'm not being critical of the line). However, I think if often I'm confused about ingredients, then the hosts must be too. BUT they are being paid to NOT misspeak and try to get descriptions right. So, I dunno, just interesting to me.
Respected Contributor

It's better than some (chemical wise) but, it is not chemical free.

Ava Anderson Non Toxic has come out with some great products, I haven't had a chance to try them all yet but what I have used, I actually like - this is one of the only lines I have found that is truly chemical free - and NO, I do not sell it, I have just seen it on line.

Super Contributor

what chemical in it..