Valued Contributor

Hey Ladies...I know this is not the "problem" page but I am hoping someone can help me or provide any comments. I have noticed that I have carpenter bees. They seem to have found a home in between my siding and an opening. Last year I did notice a few but it was not too many. This year, I was outside yesterday with a contractor and saw FAR TOO MANY...for my comfort.

I called ORKIN and they are coming to do a one time spray that the warrant for 30 days. The Orkin in my area, does not do long term bee contracts like they do 1 year contracts for inside your home for spiders, roaches, etc.

Because the situation was "BAD" and an emergency to ME...I took the one time service for this Saturday and I am looking for a long term solution. I'm not sure if a one time treatment will solve anything. It is warranted for 30 days so I plan to call them back as needed.

SO has anyone ever had this type of problem and any suggestions. I did read a few reviews on home depot of over the counter insect products and the reviews were all over some people said this worked...others said...don't buy.

All suggestions will be appreciated.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: OT - Carpenter Bees....HELP

I've heard of carpenter ants - and had a nest of those, but c bees are new to me. They like to live behind siding and shutters facing South - nice and warm there. Bees - hornets - yellow jackets - whatever.............part of life and have no clue how to rid of them permanently except (you won't like this: remove your siding) LOL

Sprays aren't healthy for you to ingest and only makes bees madder and then attack (you). Don't use a flame torch like some dumb people = it'll burn your house down!{#emotions_dlg.scared}

Honored Contributor

I live in a log structure and have had carpenter bees for 30 years and they are just now starting to do real damage. Our contractor advised a treatment that is caustic to the bees, but not to humans or pets so I am going to give it a go. This or any treatment is probably not a one and done thing because I live in the woods. In your case though, maybe if they can kill enough of them or possibly rid you of them in a couple of tries. Is there any way you could seal up that area they are getting in with treated lumber, the bees won't drill that stuff.

Regular Contributor

After your exterminator does his job, you need to plug up that hole somehow. Either hire a handyman/contractor that does small jobs, or you can do it yourself... check out the info at this link:

http://www.wikihow.com/Get-Rid-of-Carpenter-Bees

Occasional Contributor

Carpenter bees are buzzing me more crazy! We have some last year but this year their numbers have increased by 10 fold! I see sawdust each day on my patio from them drilling into the wood of the patio cover. Contacted our pest control service and they explained there are no known pesticides or deterrents for carpenter bees. Hoping we can get some answers and solutions from others in the Q Community. Good luck! May be time for me to ask the great Google again....

Valued Contributor

Thank you ladies, I saved the link above and I'm going to keep you posted on the experience on Saturday with ORKIN. Something has to be done, or I won't be able to go in my backyard.

Plus I'm also scared that my husband won't be able to cut the lawn.

Respected Contributor

Hi, sunshine! I have carpenter bees. They live in holes they've made in my deck. Each year, they come out in April. What I do is to discover their holes first. You can see evidence of pollen around the holes that rubs off the bee when it enters the hive. Then, I wait until dusk--because the bees are all in the hive before dark. Then I spray into the hole with a stream (not a spray) insect killer. Check with your hardware store or online for the correct insecticide. You may have to do this again this year if you see any more signs of bees.

You can put duct tape over the hole after spraying if you wish.

Frequent Contributor

We had carpenter bees and nothing we did seemed to deter them from being destructive. This past summer we had to have a contractor replace the perimeter of our patio roof due to the damage they did. He replaced all the wood then covered it. They simply moved to a different are they had not previously bothered. We had to have the whole patio roof replaced and covered with soffetting...I think thats what it was called. Now there is no wood for them to drill. The remainder of the summer we rarely saw any so am hoping they have permanently moved on as there is nothing left for them to drill.. I hope! It was a pretty expensive solution!

Honored Contributor

My uncle had them in an old barn. We called them "wood bees" and laughed because we turned them into "has beens!" We got the oars out of his boat, then we would go knock on the barn and when the bees came out it was batting practice. We got rid of them that way! Not that I am suggesting that as a solution, but we saved the old barn!

Honored Contributor

I had carpenter bees burrow into the underside of the 2 X 4 of my wood patio fence when I lived in Houston (along with every other creepy thing). The holes they drilled were perfect circles a little larger than a pencil. They were big, black things but totally non-aggressive. I was out among them all the time and they never bothered me. I never saw a stinger on them. I never got rid of them but moved.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment