Occasional Contributor

Are teeth whitening products safe to use ??

We all want pearly white teeth. And there are also numerous options available in the market to get such teeth. But I am confused whether to use those products or not ? Are there any side-effects of using it ??

Super Contributor

Re: Are teeth whitening products safe to use ??

I think the place to get an answer to your concerns is by asking your dentist.

Esteemed Contributor

The dentist at work said the whitening strips they sell are more effective than the ones at drugstores. I don't remember how much stronger they are. He said he doesn't like the gels & gels with lights. Too harsh on teeth.

Valued Contributor

I have sensitive teeth and decided to forgo strips for Optic White toothpaste. I also use a sensitive toothpaste. Found an online article that indicated both of my toothpastes were highly abrasive. My dentist said as long as I was using the Sonicare to brush with it was no problem but using a regular toothbrush w/whitening paste would be too abrasive for my teeth. Good idea to check w/your dentist.

Esteemed Contributor

The only thing I kind of "worry about" is the hydrogen peroxide used in a lot of whitening things, which not only kills bad bacteria, it also kills the good mouth flora. I use Smileactives, but sporadically.

From what I can tell, it's either that, H2O2, or something too abrasive, which you don't want either, because it may break down enamel. (Anyone know anything to the contrary?)

Honored Contributor

I like Colgate Optic White and Crest 3D White.

Respected Contributor

Supersmile is made by Dr. Smigel who is a very well respected dentist.

Occasional Contributor

Thanks for your valuable suggestions. Previously I used few products without taking any advice from the dentist. But I read somewhere that it can be harmful if used frequently. So now going to take the advice from the expert dentist. Just wanted to know that anyone had the whitening treatment ? How effective it is ?

Contributor

By far the cheapest easiest thing to use is activated charcoal. You will notice results first time. It is less abrasive then toothpaste and has no taste. $10 a bottle for 100 caplets. Break one open and brush teeth with the powder. It really is amazing. Feel free to google.
Respected Contributor

Since this thread got bumped up I'll post what I wrote on the other thread:

So "CharlesFrost" looking at your history all your posts are about teeth, you directed us in a couple of your posts to "Sofia Roberts" Wordpress blog which has article after article advising about dentistry and oral health care ...

are you advertising your blog where you say you're a "dental care counselor"

or just using posters with your leading questions to get info for your blog?

••• Please adopt don't shop ••• Save a life adopt a pet •••