Valued Contributor

Please Advise.. So many do's and don'ts regarding face sunscreen

Ladies please need your help. I have been researching and I am more confused now than when I started. Some say use physical sunscreen, others chemical. I just want a good sunscreen that works and won't make me cake white or break me out. What is your favorites. Thanks so much in advance. I must say that I did find out that using physical sunscreen you apply after moisturizer, chemical sunscreens you apply first. I did not know that there was a certain application. {#emotions_dlg.ohmy} I am on overload with to much info making me more confused.

No thought is worth thinking.....
Trusted Contributor

Re: Please Advise.. So many do's and don'ts regarding face sunscreen

I prefer a physical sunscreen, mostly because physical doesn't irritate my eyes. I use Elta MD 41 -- it's tinted so I use it in place of foundation or BB.

Good luck with your search.

Respected Contributor

physical sunscreens-I try to avoid avobenzene. Chemical sunblocks, esp. w/silicone high up in the ingredient deck break my s

Super Contributor

My skin breaks out easily, thus I also went through an extensive research period looking for a good sunscreen lol!! Cellceuticals Photodefense is great but has been increasingly harder to find. I finally settled on L'Oreal Sublime Sun Liquid Silk Lotion SPF 50....although it does contain avobenzone, it works wonderfully for me.
Super Contributor

I use Cerave SPF30 which I think has a combo of physical and chemical, does not cake and does not make my sensitive skin red or break out.

I also keep SPF powder in the car - PT Roth SPF 45, and apply that every couple hours if I'm out and about.

The above is just normal life indoors and running errands or visiting friends. If planning a hike or something I use Vanicream SPF 60 -- it is very thick and takes a while to soak in but think it offers more protection.

Good for you for taking steps to protect your skin health!

Valued Contributor

On the rec of my derm, I use Rocky Mountain sunscreen spf 50. It is a combo chemical/physical. I use it as my moisturizer on face and body. Btw, my derm said to apply ALL sunscreen as a last step.

Super Contributor

EltaMD sunscreens are the best, you will not be disappointed. They make a 100% physical that's tinted SPF 41, but depending on your skin type, you could also try one of the others (clear SPF 46 for acne skin, Daily spf 40 tinted for aging skin are my other two favorites). I don't use foundation - I just use one of the EltaMD tinted sunscreens, but they are also very light, so work well under foundation too.

Respected Contributor

I just recently bought LaRoche-Posey sunscreen. It's SPF 15 and so far I am liking it. I use it for my moisturizer as well. I am interested in the EltaMD but their SPF is really high. High spf's seem to burn my face. I also just bought the Devita SPF 30 for the body. I am planning on using that this summer. I am going to try that on my face too and see how it goes. I am with you on the confusion so I am no expert. I just dove in based in reviews.
Trusted Contributor

Devita for the face is excellent too and although it is an all physical sunscreen (actually a sunblock) they created the formula in such a way that there is absolutely no white cast left on the skin nor does it require any rubbing in - just apply like a regular cream. It has a 19% zinc oxide which is great sunblock.

Chemical sunscreen melds into the skin and studies are showing that there may be potential damage to the skin with long term use. It is a combination of the chemical ingredients and their effect within the skin, especially when exposed to the sun.

If you use just a physical sunblock, like Devita or Elta or others, they do not blend into the skin but literally sit right on top of it hence why they are actual sun-blocks - the sun can't penetrate the barrier they create on top of the skin.

My feeling is why take a chance with chemical sunscreens when there is so much concern about them particularly since there are great all physical sun-blocks available now that have none of the negatives they did in the past.

Valued Contributor

I use a sunscreen recommended by my Derm that I love, LaRoche Posay Anthelios. I happen to use spf 45 for the body on my face because it is very light and silky but moisturizing. It absorbs quickly and you feel like you have nothing on your skin. It is also a good primer. I have the spf 60 for the face but it is more of a matte finish so I only use it on really steamy hot summer days. They both also have anti aging ingredients. You can get them at some drugstores or on line at drugstore .com or dermstore.com.