Honored Contributor

Prestige Brands vs Drugstore Skincare

I have tried a lot of different skincare brands Philosophy, Skinn, SSC ,Bare Minerals to name a few. I haven't found them to work any better than the products I've bought in CVS or Target. I was going to order the TSV but decided against it. I'm tired of wasting my money on products that over promise and under deliver.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Prestige Brands vs Drugstore Skincare

So which drugstore products do you like?

Do the math.
Honored Contributor

I've used Olay cleansers and Clean and Clear. I like to take my makeup off first with towelettes,Olay,Ponds,and Neutogena. I have used Neutrogena Rapid Wrinkle Repair. I'm not saying all these products are all that but the higher end ones aren't any better. My skin is not too bad,a couple of slight horizontal lines on my forehead. I think no product will help with it besides getting injections Last week I boxed up my LightStim and sent it back.

Trusted Contributor

On 4/21/2014 jordan2 said:

I've used Olay cleansers and Clean and Clear. I like to take my makeup off first with towelettes,Olay,Ponds,and Neutogena. I have used Neutrogena Rapid Wrinkle Repair. I'm not saying all these products are all that but the higher end ones aren't any better. My skin is not too bad,a couple of slight horizontal lines on my forehead. I think no product will help with it besides getting injections Last week I boxed up my LightStim and sent it back.

I also like the towelettes.

Do the math.
Valued Contributor

For some people, myself included, drugstore skincare is not an option because so many are highly perfumed, which can cause awful irritation to many. For my skin, I've learned the hard way that Olay and Ponds are the worst offenders.

Trusted Contributor

Actually I love Prestige brand at drugstores! LOL, sorry I couldn't resist.

To be honest the only Prestige brand items I've owned and used are the automatic eyeliner and lip liner pencils. There is one color in each that's perfect for me and I can't find the same in other brands. But they are impossible to find now and the last batch I bought on eBay were faulty in the automatic twist feature.

I do know what you are saying and tend to agree with you in many instances.

~Dogs are my favorite people and my favorite people are dogs.~
Respected Contributor

On 4/21/2014 AspenGrove said:

For some people, myself included, drugstore skincare is not an option because so many are highly perfumed, which can cause awful irritation to many. For my skin, I've learned the hard way that Olay and Ponds are the worst offenders.

There are more and more natural/sensitive skin cosmetics in drugstores. I picked up some Cerave foaming face cleaner at Walgreens and really like it. Paula's Choice reviews it high and so far so good. It was $14 with BOGO 50% off so I picked up their eye cream as well. It too is great for my sensitive skin and doesn't have a fragrance that I can tell. I can even wear it with my allergy eyes flaring up this time of year. You should check out your local stock and then review them online to see if they would suite you and save you some money to splurge on those more expensive items.

Regular Contributor

I've stopped the craziness of getting taken in by the prestige brands & spending so much money & not being happy with the results. I wanted a simpler, less expensive routine, especially since I wasn't happy with so many products. In January, I started doing some research & finally got a prescription for Retin A. I now use Cerave cleanser & Cerave moisturizer with sunscreen in the AM. At night, Retin A, then Olay moisturizer (which is available fragrance free). A few times a week I use an Origins Mask ($24 for a large tube). I use a Vitamin C serum in the AM, but when the bottle is finished, I may not reorder. My skin looks better in the last 3 months than the last 2 years combined using high end products (Dr Denese, PTR, Perricone, Philosophy, etc). I wish I started this regime sooner, but better late than never.

Contributor

Valued Contributor

I try the drugstore brands and want to like them but they never seem to quite do it for me. I do use Neutrogena Oil Free Eye Make Up Remover which is a dupe for Lancôme BiFacil. I buy it all the time. And I have a Boots Botanica Cleansing Balm that I use now and then that is a pretty close dupe to Eve Lom. I think everyone should use whatever works for them and if it's drugstore than lucky you for being able to save some money!