Valued Contributor

Looking for a foundation or primer than blurs pores for more then a 1/2 hour!

I've tried LORAC PoreFection, L'Oreal Pore Vanisher, Maybelline Baby Face, and the TruMagic product similar to the Face Defender. Skin looks awesome for a little while but as soon as a bit of oil breaks through, they rear their ugly little heads again. Is the ANYTHING that keeps the little buggers under wraps longer? They are mostly on the top of my nose. I've tried salycilic acid, glycolic acids, scrubs and Thayers witch hazel toner to no avail. Any suggestions as to foundation or primer that helps?

Respected Contributor

Re: Looking for a foundation or primer than blurs pores for more then a 1/2 hour!

Try Murad oil control Mattifier. I still have issues with makeup slipping off in my 50's. I have used a lot of primers and this one keeps my makeup on during the most humid hot days. It isn't advertised as a primer and I just found out about it from a sample I received. I use my morning serum and then put this on. And then my foundation. Great in the winter too.
Frequent Contributor

Re: Looking for a foundation or primer than blurs pores for more then a 1/2 hour!

I LOVE the Algenist poreless primer! I don't have large pores but it makes your skin feel so smooth and powder make-up never looks powdery. I have tried many and this is my HG!

Super Contributor

Peter Thomas Roth UnWrinkle Primer and Foundation are a game changer for me. So pretty and natural; the only foundation I can apply in strong daylight and still not see it, just the smoothing effect. Also has a sunscreen so you can add more during the day if you go outside again. I'm crazy about it. Of course, different things work on different people, and I don't know if you could get heavy coverage from this foundation. However, I've heard from others that the PTR CC Cream offers more coverage and blurring, and is equally good for your skin.

Trusted Contributor

Blondelle, have you tried Milk of Magnesia? I use it, just on my nose which is oiliest, but it could be used all over your face if needed. I use a 50/50 mixture combined with water, but you can also use it full strength. I just find that it is a little harder to go on smoothly if I don't mix with some water. I put this on under my primer (I use Tarte's tinted BB primer) and then their Amazonian Clay loose powder foundation on top. This gives me enough coverage and works well on my oily skin. Anyway, the M of M can really help with the oil breaking through.

One other thing, after applying the powder I do blot with Mally's Face Defender.

Frequent Contributor

I have super dry skin due to illness and medications, except for my nose. I have moon crater pores that leak oil all day. It is an embarrassing problem. You can actually see the oil coming out of each gigantic pore. I have tried many products that did not deliver. Now I use corn starch from the grocery store! I buff it onto my nose and then follow with LG baked foundation powder. The corn starch goes on white but the LG powder covers it. I buff the LG on in a circular motion and it does reduce the look of my moon crater pores. I have not had embarrassing oil breakthrough. So far, this has worked for me even during hot flashes. Summer will be the real test. Argro cornstarch is cheap and easily available. It's worth a try. I am always searching for help with this problem and so far I am satisfied. Good luck in your quest.
Honored Contributor

Try Laura Mercier. Nordstrom had 10% off on all her products & I believe this is the last day. LM has 3 primers - Hydrating, normal & oil free. I use the hydrating & love it. Her crème smooth foundation in a jar is very, very nice which I recently purchased. Lightweight yet good coverge & you need very little but definitely use a primer.

kindness is strength
Super Contributor

Cosmedicine Oil Matte Lotion with SPF is good but I only have found it online. I second the cornstarch because it does work. My newest thing that works very very well is Peach Sake Pore Serum from Skinfood on ebay. It goes on creamy and dries to a matte. You can order a sample to try it before ordering a full size. It is reasonably priced. It is a bit too dry for me but will be great for me come the summer heat.

Super Contributor

On 4/21/2014 Q2girl said: Try Murad oil control Mattifier. I still have issues with makeup slipping off in my 50's. I have used a lot of primers and this one keeps my makeup on during the most humid hot days. It isn't advertised as a primer and I just found out about it from a sample I received. I use my morning serum and then put this on. And then my foundation. Great in the winter too.

I'll second that. I also got a sample and was amazed at how well it worked.

I also have a product from LG that I like: Welcome Matte Skin Enhancer - a gel that feels great and mattifies for a long time.

What works the best is if I follow up by dabbing on some UD De-Slick Mattifying Powder. It's translucent.

I finish by spritzing on Urban Decay De-Slick Oil-Control Makeup Setting Spray. (Put it in the fridge in the summer.) LG has a similar product.

(edited to change a stoopid misspelling)

Super Contributor

Blondelle, Clinique has some skin care & MU dedicated to issues with pores. The serum worked well for me but I haven't tried the MU.

I know Perricone is pricey, but he has 2 products for large pores. One is a liquid serum and the matching one is a lotion. I swear by them.

Sephora has Perricone MD Intensive Pore Minimizer, 4 oz (which lasts for-e-ver) for $55, free shipping.

On a scale of 1 (Doesn't work) to 10 (Does work), I give it a 12! {#emotions_dlg.wub}