Esteemed Contributor

Oil pulling...finally tried it

Well I bought the organic coconut oil and it was sitting here for weeks and I finally got the nerve up to try it. Wow, after just one use I was so impressed. My teeth were noticeably whiter. I proceeded with caution as I didn't know what to expect and I was afraid I would gag. There was no taste and I used a small tablespoonful. The solid slowly became a liquid as I very slowly swished around my mouth. I sat with a glass and paper towel nearby as I read you shouldn't swallow or spit it in your sink. Swished for 15 minutes and disposed of it in the paper towels into the trash. It was fine and I was back at it the next day. Last year I had a problem with calcium buildup on one of my back teeth,I knew it was happening because one night a piece broke off and I thought it was my tooth. Well I went to the dentist that week and he informed me what it was and he did a cleaning. The cleaning hurt big time. Well, it started again but after one session of "oil pulling" it came right off. This is something I'm going to continue, my mouth felt so clean afterwards. This is one of the best things I've learned recently, first briefly on Dr. oz and here. If anyone has any doubts, try it. I'm very impressed with the results.
Trusted Contributor

Re: Oil pulling...finally tried it

Do you brush before or after?

Trusted Contributor

and

I have had my sesame oil sitting here for a couple weeks & have not tried it yet

Super Contributor

You brush after you spit out oil, it works great!
On 4/20/2014 AnnMarie-1 said:

Do you brush before or after?

Frequent Contributor

I do it regularly and love it. I am on alot of antibiotics to treat Lyme Disease from a tick bite and it plays havoc with yeast in the body. It has made a great difference in how my tongue looks, the whiteness of my teeth and my dentist who is holistic dentist (Cap't America's dad!!!!) encourages his patients to do it to keep plaque away and gums healthy.

I also brush after and use a tongue scraper as well....your mouth is loaded with bacteria.

Also...I have a VitaMix and throw a tbsp in my protein smoothie for it's internal natural antibacterial/antifungal properties. Sometimes I put it on the bottom of my feet/soles before bed with a pair of socks as your feet have like 500,000 pores in each foot for absorption into bloodstream and softer feet.

Ambermsom

Trusted Contributor

I tried oil-pulling a while ago using sesame oil and it made me very nauseous. And yes, I did it on an empty stomach as advised. Blech. An upset tummy was mentioned as a side-effect of oil-pulling in the information that I could find about the subject. Also, by the end of the 15 minutes of swishing, I found the sesame oil flavor disgusting, lol.

I'll have to try again using coconut oil instead.

Honored Contributor

I'm glad you mentioned the trash part. I would spit it into the sink and clog the drain eventually. This seems so whacky I'm digging out my cocoanut oil and trying it. Why would one need an empty stomach?

Respected Contributor

On 4/21/2014 Sweet Susie said:

I tried oil-pulling a while ago using sesame oil and it made me very nauseous. And yes, I did it on an empty stomach as advised. Blech. An upset tummy was mentioned as a side-effect of oil-pulling in the information that I could find about the subject. Also, by the end of the 15 minutes of swishing, I found the sesame oil flavor disgusting, lol.

I'll have to try again using coconut oil instead.

Sweet Susie… I haven't tried sesame oil, so I can't comment on that. I'm just thinking that you could try a smaller amount? I use a large teaspoon full. I have a small mouth… I think any more would be too much!

Respected Contributor

On 4/21/2014 depglass said:

Why would one need an empty stomach?

I didn't know about that, and don't think about it at all. Just go for it, but start with a smaller amount if you think you might gag.

Esteemed Contributor

On 4/21/2014 itsMe said:
On 4/21/2014 depglass said:

Why would one need an empty stomach?

I didn't know about that, and don't think about it at all. Just go for it, but start with a smaller amount if you think you might gag.

I didn't either and since I had to do it when no one else was around I did it like 9 at night after dinner and had no problems but I will be careful in the future.