Frequent Contributor

Question about oryza sativa (rice powder) Does it cause acne?

Does anyone have experience with this cosmetic ingredient? Do you know if it causes or contribute to breakouts? Thank you!
Honored Contributor

Re: Question about oryza sativa (rice powder) Does it cause acne?

I use a rice and papaya enzyme powder nearly every morning. It has not caused any breakouts on me. On the contrary, since using it and a camellia cleansing oil my skin is in better condition that ever.

Respected Contributor

I am breakout prone. I read that rice powder, and cornstarch can swell in the pores from the moisture of the skin and block the pores. So, personally, I avoid both.

Frequent Contributor

Hmm. I ask because I tried a new powder foundation today--EPIC brand. I determined that I was sensitive to mica and so I was hopeful this brand would be good for me. No mica and several other ingredients that can cause problems. I loved the way it looked, covered, lasted and felt. But . . . This evening when I washed my face, Ihad a few small pimples on my checks. I am acne prone. very sensitive to various ingredients in cosmetics, washes, scrubs, etc. Since I cut mica out and since I started using Devita Solor SPF for the face (instead of the various other brands of sunscreen), my face has been clear. I have been amazed. Anyway, I wondered if the rice powder was the cause. Thank you both for your response. I know everyone is different but helps to hear from others.
Respected Contributor

Last year there was a thread about which sunscreens or blocks didn't cause break-outs. I got one that was recommended, can't remember if it was Devita or another one. Well, it did break me out, I am sure it was the silicones. I can handle them to some degree, depending on the product.

Smashbox Halo has dimethicone but not at the top of the ingredient deck. Also contains mica. Mentioning it because it doesn't break me out. Physician's Formula mineral powder never broke me out either. Hope you find one that works for you. I tried a bunch of brands, and I also can't use any containing lauroyl lyceine, also big break-out maker and it's in many mineral foundations. HTH

Frequent Contributor

Thank you Desi!
Super Contributor

i dont think so .

Respected Contributor

mkcw, you are welcome! Please report back if you find something great, always looking to try new stuff I really don't need more of, lol!

Respected Contributor

mkcw, just read the ingredients every time, if you can see them the print is usually so small.

I looked at a loose PF mineral foundation powder today(kind with the brush in it). Not the pressed version I used. It did contain lauroyl lyceine, so even with them you have to be careful. They keep adding products, I used the older version which may be hard to find. haven't read what's in their latest ones.

On the other hand, Smashbox is finally adding more Halo shades, woo-hoo!

Occasional Contributor

I had this problem with a loose rice powder I got a few years back. I had to throw it out.