Regular Contributor

How do I delete my recently closed tabs on Google Chrome?

I have googled for the info and tried everything I could and nothing works.

And please don't say that you can just delete your browser history and it will remove it because BELIEVE ME, it doesn't. Maybe that worked with an earlier version of Google Chrome but it definitely doesn't now.

Clearing the browsing data will delete the MOST VISITED sites on the Chrome page but nothing that I do will get rid of the RECENTLY CLOSED TABS.

I am looking up some very serious and important private information. Please help!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: How do I delete my recently closed tabs on Google Chrome?

Are you talking about the new page that comes up when you sign on to internet explorer? If so there if you hover over the box that shows each page there is a little X that will pop up. Click on that and it should take it off.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Esteemed Contributor

The X should appear to the top right of the box that displays each page.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Super Contributor

Did you try deleting the cookies?

Regular Contributor

There is no X. There are only links to click on. OMG, this is stressing me out.

Esteemed Contributor

On 4/19/2014 Dreamchaser said:

There is no X. There are only links to click on. OMG, this is stressing me out.

Right click on the box displayed on the new tab and you will see the X in the upper right corner. Just ignore the menu you also get doing this and click the X.

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Honored Contributor

Dreamchaser, I'm using the most recent version of Google Chrome on my iMac. I tried this and it did remove the list of recently closed tabs:

At the top of the screen in Chrome you should see, reading from the far left corner, Chrome, File, Edit, View, History (I’m guessing it’s under "History" that you’re seeing the closed tabs -- if not, please tell us where you're seeing them), Bookmarks, Window, Help.

In the drop-down menu under the word Chrome, choose Clear Browsing Data… (A box will open and you'll see the words “Learn more” toward the bottom of the page. You can click on that if you want to read about the features and choices.)

On the first line, which says, “Obliterate the following items from:” Choose: “From the beginning of time.”

Place a checkmark by Browsing History, Download History, Cookies and other site and plug-in data, Cached images and files, and Hosted app data.

Click “Clear browsing data.”

If that didn’t work, at the bottom of the Clear Browsing Data, where it says: “Saved content settings and search engines will not be cleared and may reflect your browsing habits,” click on the words “content settings” to see if you need to change anything there to customize your browsing privacy to suit your needs.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

Dreamchaser, Did you find a resolution to your problem? I hope so!Smile

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

I guess my question is: what is the problem with these tabs still being opened?

I don't think mine are opened even though I thought I closed them, but I could be wrong.....

Honored Contributor

You might also want to try the Incognito mode in Chrome.