Regular Contributor

I am at a standstill with my skincare, make-up, and need some advice, PLEASE!

Hi Beauties! I am SOOO Frustrated with the way my make-up looks. I am talking mainly of my foundation. I am using the Accure line and like it alright. I really feel that I need something more. I have to wear a Physical Sunscreen, (due to having Melanoma and Basil Cell Carcinoma), and I'm sure this is the main problem. I use an Exfoliator at least 3 times a week. I do let the Sunscreen set for about 10-15 minutes before putting on my foundation. I have some deeper wrinkles on my forehead, and, this is where the make-up settles, and looks like it is caked. It also will settle in my pores. I have tried, IT CC Cream, Peter Thomas Roth CC Cream, Revlon 24 wear, Maybelline, Cover Girl, Clinique, Estee Lauder, and other brands. I do also use a primer.

I just don't know what to do! I do not have the option to go without make-up. I cannot afford anything in the high end skincare or make-up lines. I would love to find a Dept store brand that would work. I don't like a Matt look for my make-up. I am 57 and have combination skin. Oily in the T-Zone and dry elsewhere. Hope this wasn't to long or to confusing. My hair has also started thinning in the past several months and I did start on a Skin, Nail and Hair Vitamin. Will have to wait to see what happens on this one. This getting old is not what's it cracked up to be!! But, I am Thankful that I am in as good of health as I am. I appreciate any feed back and hope everyone has a very Blessed Easter! I do leave my office at 5:00. Be back in at 8:00 in the morning. Thanks everyone!

Respected Contributor

Re: I am at a standstill with my skincare, make-up, and need some advice, PLEASE!

IMHO, no one can help U without actually seeing you in person. Good luckSmiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Re: I am at a standstill with my skincare, make-up, and need some advice, PLEASE!

What about a sunscreen with a tint that has a high SPF? That way you wouldn't be putting foundation on top of a sunscreen, or maybe using a primer on top of the sunscreen? Doesn't Laura Geller make a primer with SPF? I know there are tinted moisturizers out there with high SPF. Go to Sephora's website and take a peek.

I would also go to the department store and browse the lines and ask for help.

Honored Contributor

I don't know what the "Accure line" is. Is that a foundation or skincare? What kind of foundation are you using now - cream, powder, liquid?

Why do you not have the option to go without makeup?

If your main issues are a few wrinkles and enlarged pores where your makeup settles, you might want to check out the Clinique counter and look at their Repairwear Laser Focus and Pore Refining Correcting Serum. The pore serum has silicone and gives your skin slip and makes it feel a little cushiony, so you shouldn't need a primer between that and your makeup. Clinique makes good skincare and makeup for a pretty good price for a department store brand.

You may also want to take a look at how you apply your makeup. Sometimes tools can make a difference in how the same foundation looks, so consider making a change.

Honored Contributor

On 4/18/2014 RedConvertibleGirl said:

What about a sunscreen with a tint that has a high SPF? That way you wouldn't be putting foundation on top of a sunscreen, or maybe using a primer on top of the sunscreen? Doesn't Laura Geller make a primer with SPF? I know there are tinted moisturizers out there with high SPF. Go to Sephora's website and take a peek.

I would also go to the department store and browse the lines and ask for help.

I would caution against that, especially if there's a history of skin cancer. Most people don't put enough sunscreen sunscreen as it is and if you add it into another product, it's even less likely you're getting enough. I use a tinted BB cream with SPF 30, but I still use a moisturizer with SPF 30 underneath that.

Respected Contributor

If your foundation is collecting in lines it's usually because you are trying to get too much coverage. I have combo/oily/easily dehydrated skin/that breaks out from everything.

For me, it works better to hope to blur imperfections & not try to get total coverage or the "flawless" look that so many products today promise. How many "flawless" women do YOU see in real life?

My skin breaks out easily, but likes a good exfoliation. I use Garden Of Wisdom Diamond Dust Powder (Aluminum Oxide Crystals) that I have mixed with some Mother of Pearl powder & I just massage that onto my face. I also, like Nuance Salma Hayek Wild Lime Exfoliating Gel for gentle exfoliation.

I use Avalon Organics Vit C Serum to even out my skintone & it helps to keep me matte. I get pretty oily by mid-day if I don't use something.

Boscia Oil Free Daily Hydration SPF15 gives me light hydration, but keeps me from getting too shiny, too. I can use these alone or together.

I haven't been using a separate sunscreen, but I did just get Mac Prep+Prime cc Colour Correcting SPF30 in yellow & lavender & I like it because it really does keep me matte, so that's probably not for you. It does make my foundation smooth on really nicely, but it does make it very MATTE.

I haven't found another primer that does anything for my foundation. Make my pores or lines look better or control my oil. The Mac does, but again, it may make it too flat looking for you.

For foundation I love the tarte tinted treatment broad spectrum SPF30. It has a light "whipped gel" texture. It doesn't take very much to cover my face & if I try to build up extra coverage (this has been my experience with foundations) it just looks heavy & collects places it shouldn't. I try not to use too much concealer for the same reason. A light application on the inner & outer edges of my eyes, but not so much under them.

Try applying your makeup how you normally would. Take a very slightly damp sponge (any makeup sponge) & gently press it across the areas that you don't like. That should collect any extra foundation.

I use Mac Careblend Powder with a brush or puff-just depends on the day-over any foundation.

Good luck. I hope you work it out.

Regular Contributor

On 4/18/2014 ChynnaBlue said:

I don't know what the "Accure line" is. Is that a foundation or skincare? What kind of foundation are you using now - cream, powder, liquid?

Why do you not have the option to go without makeup?

If your main issues are a few wrinkles and enlarged pores where your makeup settles, you might want to check out the Clinique counter and look at their Repairwear Laser Focus and Pore Refining Correcting Serum. The pore serum has silicone and gives your skin slip and makes it feel a little cushiony, so you shouldn't need a primer between that and your makeup. Clinique makes good skincare and makeup for a pretty good price for a department store brand.

You may also want to take a look at how you apply your makeup. Sometimes tools can make a difference in how the same foundation looks, so consider making a change.

Sorry, the Accure line is a Natural skincare line. As far as not going without my make-up, I work 6 days a week in a Public office and I don't feel I look presentable without make-up. My skin has some uneven tones and reddish areas. I will go to my local Mall and check out the Clinique counter. Thanks for the suggestion!

Regular Contributor

On 4/18/2014 Dusty1 said:

If your foundation is collecting in lines it's usually because you are trying to get too much coverage. I have combo/oily/easily dehydrated skin/that breaks out from everything.

For me, it works better to hope to blur imperfections & not try to get total coverage or the "flawless" look that so many products today promise. How many "flawless" women do YOU see in real life?

My skin breaks out easily, but likes a good exfoliation. I use Garden Of Wisdom Diamond Dust Powder (Aluminum Oxide Crystals) that I have mixed with some Mother of Pearl powder & I just massage that onto my face. I also, like Nuance Salma Hayek Wild Lime Exfoliating Gel for gentle exfoliation.

I use Avalon Organics Vit C Serum to even out my skintone & it helps to keep me matte. I get pretty oily by mid-day if I don't use something.

Boscia Oil Free Daily Hydration SPF15 gives me light hydration, but keeps me from getting too shiny, too. I can use these alone or together.

I haven't been using a separate sunscreen, but I did just get Mac Prep+Prime cc Colour Correcting SPF30 in yellow & lavender & I like it because it really does keep me matte, so that's probably not for you. It does make my foundation smooth on really nicely, but it does make it very MATTE.

I haven't found another primer that does anything for my foundation. Make my pores or lines look better or control my oil. The Mac does, but again, it may make it too flat looking for you.

For foundation I love the tarte tinted treatment broad spectrum SPF30. It has a light "whipped gel" texture. It doesn't take very much to cover my face & if I try to build up extra coverage (this has been my experience with foundations) it just looks heavy & collects places it shouldn't. I try not to use too much concealer for the same reason. A light application on the inner & outer edges of my eyes, but not so much under them.

Try applying your makeup how you normally would. Take a very slightly damp sponge (any makeup sponge) & gently press it across the areas that you don't like. That should collect any extra foundation.

I use Mac Careblend Powder with a brush or puff-just depends on the day-over any foundation.

Good luck. I hope you work it out.

Thanks Dusty for the recs. You are so right in what you said about not seeing any women with that "Flawless" look. And I realize I will never have that look, just want a more Natural look. I will also try the damp make-up sponge. I know there is a solution for me. Just trial and error, I guess!

Contributor

If you have a Merle Norman store close by you might check them out. They carry several different types of foundations you can try and they will give you samples as well. They do not have "old lady" makeup as some may think, their products are very nice.

Respected Contributor

On 4/18/2014 DoubleDog2 said:

If you have a Merle Norman store close by you might check them out. They carry several different types of foundations you can try and they will give you samples as well. They do not have "old lady" makeup as some may think, their products are very nice.

Merle Norman does have some lovely products in the line. As a skin cancer sufferer (don't even get me started on the Efudex treatments, cryosurgery, cutting out basal carcinomas, etc.). I also use spf in moisturizer and foundation. I really like Chanel foundations and I'm now 58+. A beauty blender sponge helps, but to be honest I also get Botox so I don't look so angry and I like the smooth forehead look (I can move my forehead). Estee Lauder has many different foundations and is a very good line as well. Good luck!