Respected Contributor

Has anyone tried the Dr. Gross facial steamer?

It's on Easy Pay which I need to stay away from, but it's been on my Wishlist, so please review if you've used it. THX

Happy WEN Girl since 1/12/2012
Regular Contributor

Re: Has anyone tried the Dr. Gross facial steamer?

I have this and use it almost everyday. If you get it, be careful using the handle of the cup to twist it back on - mine has developed a slight crack - and turn more from the bottom. I have allergies, so this does double time for me - face and sinuses. It's so wonderful I could sit in front of it all day.

I liked the cream that came with it, but it caused blackheads after a few days, so I quit using it. There aren't a lot of instructions, but you can figure it out. It specifically says don't use distilled water, and I have very hard water, so about once a week I put just enough white vinegar (my own idea) in the cup and let it soak the heating element until I can wipe off the residue.

I would be happy to answer any specific questions you have. The easy pay is a good opportunity to try it without making a $120 investment right off the top.

Trusted Contributor

I have this and don't use it nearly enough. I use distilled water. Yes the cup can be tricky to get in and out, but it's a very good product and recommend it.

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Respected Contributor

I have one and don't use it enough! This thread made me get it out and I'm sitting in front of it right now. I use distiller water. I need to use more often. It feels great, and moisturizes my skin, and makes it feel more fresh. Definitely helps with sinuses/allergies for me, too! I think I got mine on GMA deals and steals and paid $60-75 for it, but I'd pay more, for sure.
Super Contributor

Facial steamers were popular in the 70's, but lost popularity because too many women were complaining of broken capilaries on nose and cheeks. I'm kind of surprised to see that it's back.

I'm glad for those of you who are having success, and maybe this machine is different--I don't know, I've never used it--but remember that extreme heat/steam is not good for your face and can cause broken blood vessels.

I also stayed away from them because any steam or heat makes my hair curly/frizzy!

Esteemed Contributor

you can do the same with an ordinary humidifier.

How do I know? Many Yrs ago, I had a bronchial infection and need to use the humidifier and my skin never looked better.