Valued Contributor

Washing face with coconut oil ?

Does anyone do this? I've heard of people using coconut oil as a make-up remover; but, I didn't know if they were just using it for eye make-up.

Also, too, aren't the "cleansing oils" that some people use -- wouldn't those be similar?

Just curious if anyone has tried it and what they thought. Thanks!

Honored Contributor

Re: Washing face with coconut oil ?

Coconut oil is a known comedogenic, so I think that people use it for a body moisturizer but steer clear of the facial areas.

Honored Contributor

You can use many oils to wash your face, but I wouldn't recommend coconut. It did clog my pores and I broke out.

I prefer cleansing balms, which are also mostly oils. My favorite is Boots Botanics Organic Hot Cloth Cleansing Balm. It melts makeup off, has a pleasant herbal scent, and has not clogged my pores. It leaves my skin feeling soft and moisturized. It's also under $9 at Target.

Contributor

I've been using coconut oil to cleanse my face, whether its a makeup day or not, for almost two months. I love it!! I get compliments about my skin from people I didn't even know paid much attention. It is a great all-over-face makeup remover.

I massage in the oil then hold my face over a steaming pot of water (i have it on the stove most all of the time for my dry sinuses) and wipe clean with a warm, damp, microfiber cloth. Any acne issues I had are now gone and I'm told my skin looks very healthy.

p.s. - i got the idea here

Honored Contributor

Yes, I do....it takes off eye make up better than baby oil. I do use Cere Ve to wash with after the eye make up is liquified, my face has never broken out. I bought the oil in the cooking section of the grocery (in solid form). I do use a clarsonic in the mornings along with a scrub on occasion.

Trusted Contributor

I love coconut oil, to eat. Not on my skin. Causes major break-outs for me.

~Dogs are my favorite people and my favorite people are dogs.~
Valued Contributor

All of the replies have been so helpful! Thanks everybody!

Respected Contributor

I find it too heavy for facial cleansing.
Super Contributor

I only do it if my skin is very dry and I put it on and wipe it right off.

Super Contributor

Tried it, but coconut oil breaks me out terribly. It's also much heavier than other oils I've tried and I find it difficult to remove. Leaves my skin with a greasy film. My skin tends to be more combo/oily.