Frequent Contributor

What is the Best Lip Balm for Florida heat in June

We are going to Daytona Beach for a couple of weeks in June and I wanted to know what lip balm would be the best and not melt in my pocket or beach bag as well as protect my lips. Here is a list of what I already have, please feel free to add suggestions. Thanks in advance!

C.O. Bigelow Mentha Lip Balm with Spf 15

C.O. Bigelow Cinnamint Lip Balm

C.O. Bigelow glosses

Burt's Bees Original Lip Balm

Burt's Bees Hydrating Lip Balm with Coconut Oil and Pear

Burt's Bees Mango Lip Balm

Burt's Bees Grapefruit Lip Balm

Mellaleuca Lip Balms in a few flavors with Spf

Blistex Berry Medicated Spf 15

Chapstick brand Chapsticks

Chapstick Hydration Lock 8 hr

Honored Contributor

Re: What is the Best Lip Balm for Florida heat in June

I'd recommend Supergoop, Jack Black or the new Aquaphor Lip Repair because they all have much higher SPF ratings than the others. Supergoop and the Aquaphor are SPF 30 and Jack Black is SPF 25. The Aquaphor Lip Repair is the most affordable and is found in most drugstores, but it also tastes terrible.

Frequent Contributor

I like Blistex Berry spf 15, L'Occitane Moisturizing Lip Balm, and Rosebud Salve in a tube from Sephora.
Occasional Contributor

I like several of the Avon lip balms, and the price is definitely right. Care Deeply and Moisture Therapy Intensive Treatment are just two of them that work well.

Honored Contributor

Oh, I missed the part about melting. I live in Texas and I've had the Supergoop in my purse or pocket on days when it's 105 and I've been in the sun all day and it's never melted on me. Just be sure you don't leave ANY of them in a hot car. If you do, a squeeze balm will have a better chance of survival, but any could leak or get sat upon when you come back to the car. A squeeze tube balm is less likely to leak if left in a car and will solidify and be usable afterward, but I would not rely on it for sun protection afterward. Also, if you leave a squeeze tube in a car in the sun, shake it before you use it again and listen to hear if it sloshes. If it does, cool it until it's a gel texture again. Using a melted balm could burn your lips and surprise you into accidentally squirting the remainder of the tube so that hot balm gets on everything, burning people and leaving grease stains on everything else.

Respected Contributor

Derm Store lip Quench-great for FL warm weather.

Honored Contributor

eos lemon drop lip balm with SPF 15 (comes in the round yellow ball)

kindness is strength
Trusted Contributor

Whatever you get, it needs to have avobenzone or at least 12% zinc oxide if it's going to offer any type of real UVA protection. The SPF only relates to UVB rates, but the UVA ones cause cancer. Unless you wear an opaque lip product of some type on top of a balm, the very fact that you're wearing a balm will intensify the rays.

Read it! New England Journal of Medicine—May 21, 2020
Universal Masking in Hospitals in the Covid-19 Era

“We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection.
Trusted Contributor

Blahblah, do you know off top of your head which lip balm has a 12% zinc oxide? Thank you.