Regular Contributor

Salt/Pepper hair....w/faded highlights

Best description of my hair......needs something to liven it up.Is there a rinse,temporary color.anything ? Thanks,Lexi

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Salt/Pepper hair....w/faded highlights

I would like to hear comments and suggestions for this dilemma also. I am kind of in the same boat.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Valued Contributor

lexi:

I had long colored my hair and roots so I wasn't at all sure what color my hair would come back after I lost it all to chemo. Turns out that it came back in a great shade of salt and pepper and because it compliments my skin tone so well, I decided to let it be. Anyway, when I went for my first trim I asked my trusted stylist what she thought and she said to leave it the way that it was and if the salt and pepper ratio ever shifted to more salt than pepper then she could add in a little bit more pepper for me to reverse the ratio and brighten it up so perhaps you could speak to your hair stylist about that.

Good luck...

Maria

Honored Contributor

I like the salt/pepper look on men. It's very distinguished!

Respected Contributor

I don't happen to be a man but my hair dresser encouraged me not to color my hair as she thought it was quite flattering. I've seen many woman as well as men who were striking this way.

When it becomes more gray I hope to get darker highlights blended with the gray (silver).

Super Contributor

I have been salt and pepper since 17 everyone thought that it was frosted,I use shamoo called shimmer lights from sally's cost about $6 dollars huge bottle make the white snow white takes away the dull.
Trusted Contributor

Lexi, if it looks good, leave it. A coworker of mine covered hers for years. She never did it often enough and it always looked horrible. When she retired, she let it go. It is beautiful. She actually looks younger than she did with the silver roots always showing. Another woman I know, had much less salt than pepper and the pepper was dark. She used a burgundy rinse that only showed on the silver hairs it did not seem to show on the dark hairs. It was stunning. Wish I could do it, but being blonde, I would just end up with burgundy hair. Have fun finding something that works.
Honored Contributor

Go to you tube and type in Paola Marella. I love this woman's graying hair. The latest thing is to brighten up the dark part and keep or lighten up the light part....I think it is very striking.

Honored Contributor

You may want to try Blue Malva shampoo or conditioner by Aveda. If they still make Fanci Full rinse (sold at drugstore or Beauty supply) is a rinse that washes out with your next shampoo.

kindness is strength
Trusted Contributor

I've had s&p hair for about 4 years now since I stopped coloring it (short hair cut--think Jamie Lee Curtis' hair that's grown out about a month). Talked to my stylist last week about being bored with this look. I'd love all-over silver, but that's not possible. She is going to give me very thin DARK highlights all over next time I go in. The color she picked out for me was the darkest she had on her color wheel, almost a black. She doing about 30 of them & they will be very thin. I'm going to start with that to see how I like it. I need to try something different to perk things up but keep my beautiful hair color.