Super Contributor

I need an intervention!!!! Trying to find my HG foundation - Too many choices!

My old regular MU look didn't seem to be working well for me anymore. For the past 4 to 6 weeks, I've been reading here for what has worked for others.

I keep trying but nothing thrills me. Bought a whole bunch of stuff with the recent sales at Ulta, Sephora, IT F&F and Macy's gwp. I think I've overwhelmed myself! {#emotions_dlg.scared}

So these are the facts: I'm 63 (hmmm, I've typed that so often here that I don't quite feel so old anymore......lol). I have combo/oily skin and I have to deal with slightly red cheeks and enlarged pores. I'm Fair/Light with cool undertones.

I can tell you what HASN'T worked: LG BNB, LG Baked Foundation, IT CF & CF Illumination, Tarte BB, avoided IT BB (silicones & too yellow), Bobbi Brown Tinted Moisturizer & BB cream(shades too yellow) and EL Double Wear Light.

I hate feeling MU on my skin, like a mask. From recommendations here, I've discovered JANE IREDALE & HOURGLASS & SMASHBOX Halo powder. I'm not sure which one to try next. With Perricone's FF sale, I just ordered the NFF. I could try BB CC cream with a mineral powder on top (if it is hydrating).

I got close to an informal look today. PC Tinted Moisturizer with spf + Primer + Dr Brandt BB Matte Light Beige + NARS Flushed bronzer & blush.

So I'm sitting here surrounded by piles of MU.......{#emotions_dlg.blink}..............I sure would appreciate advice on which direction to take next. Maybe someone who has used Jane Iredale can talk shades.

Another little annoying tic in my personality - I tend to OVERCOMPLICATE uncomplicated things, just a tad. {#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}

Super Contributor

Re: I need an intervention!!!! Trying to find my HG foundation - Too many choices!

Okay.......Did I include too much info? Is the post too long? My bad!

Respected Contributor

Re: I need an intervention!!!! Trying to find my HG foundation - Too many choices!

PC She has great choices and a wonderful product!

Honored Contributor

Me too. I ordered the new BE liquid and it finally arrived late today; also trying IT Illuminating powder foundation (it is "powdery" on); trying one from Dior (a winner) and StriVectin foundation (okay, but may be a return). I plan to keep at least 2 of those I'm trying.

Honored Contributor

Hahaha...not long enough, Irish. Do you prefer powder, cream, or liquid? Dewey, matte, or somewhere in between?

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Contributor

Have you tried Revlon Colorstay in normal/oily combination? My skin sounds just like your's and I have been using Colorstay for over 20 years. I have tried other brands and formulas, but I always come back to Colorstay. I love how it looks on my skin.

Super Contributor

I "OVERCOMPLICATE uncomplicated things" when it comes to skincare so I know your pain. I used to love Estee Lauder Double Wear when my skin was oily. Of course, they animal test now, so it's a no go for me. If you are not opposed to those brands you might want to try getting a sample of the regular instead of the light to see if you like it any better. I don't have any cruelty free brands to recommend. Laura Mercier does seem to have a lot of fans but I don't have a counter near me, so I haven't tried her line. I am using Physicians Formula CC cream but I am not sure it would work for oily skin since mine is more dry and there are not a lot of shades available.

Super Contributor

On 4/14/2014 suzyQ3 said:

Hahaha...not long enough, Irish. Do you prefer powder, cream, or liquid? Dewey, matte, or somewhere in between?

Wink

Powder (without being too cakey????)..................definitely not a cream (too oily)..............matte or semi-matte

Thanks SusyQ!

Super Contributor

On 4/14/2014 RickyRocky said:

Have you tried Revlon Colorstay in normal/oily combination? My skin sounds just like your's and I have been using Colorstay for over 20 years. I have tried other brands and formulas, but I always come back to Colorstay. I love how it looks on my skin.

Thanks RR! How does it "feel"?

I prefer not to feel anything on my face.

I gave up trying drugstore brands because I would have trouble getting the right match & not be able to return/exchange for free. What color do you use?

Honored Contributor

I'm also fair and prefer pink or neutral foundations. I've had really good luck with Lumene BB Cream in Light or the Ponds BB Cream - both available at CVS. You can powder over them if you have extra oil. I use a moisturizer with sunscreen under both because the Lumene doesn't work on damaging rays, only burning rays, and I prefer a higher SPF than the Ponds has. Neither makes me feel like I'm wearing makeup.

I like Bare Minerals in Fair, but it sounds like you're not having good luck with powder foundations. You might want to stop into a Sephora and ask for a sample of Benefit Cosmetics' new The Big Easy, which is almost a BB Cream, but has a cream-to-powder finish. I really like it.

Most of these offer sheer to light coverage because that's usually as far as I go. If you want more coverage, you can also try Tarte's Amazonian Clay 12-hour foundation.