Honored Contributor

~*Have you ever made your own Vit. C serum?*~

I have been reading how quickly store bought Vit C serum degrades and am considering making my own. I found a quick and easy recipe, I will include the link here. I had even considered buying the Cream Le Mer but can not justify the cost. I have also read skin actives has a powder form which is very inexpensive. That being said I found this link that is Vit.C and Camu(Camu)which is more potent.

Most creams and lotions bought in the store have usually degraded and becomes inactive because it is so unstable unless it is in its powder form. Camu has more then 60x more vit.c then an orange.

Here is the VIDEO and simple recipe.

Love to hear anyone's thoughts.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**Careful... I have caps lock and I am not afraid to use it.**
Esteemed Contributor

Re: ~*Have you ever made your own Vit. C serum?*~

Yes, I did attempt my own, but not with such outstanding results. (I think I made it too potent.)

In any event, in order for the L-ascorbic acid to be effective, you need a low pH - 2-3. So that would be another consideration in making your own. (I don't think the article addressed that, but I only skimmed it.)

Super Contributor

no, but the philosophy l-ascorbic acid powder that I used and loved for years was pretty do it yourself. I recall people having success with buying the ascorbic acid cheaper somewhere else. I buy all my vit c products now directly from manufacturer (skinceuticals or Paula's choice), so I'm confident they are as stable as they can be (given that they are inherently unstable).

Honored Contributor

I know many here are into DIY, but I am definitely more of the "buy it myself" type.. I buy a Vitamin C serum that is packaged well, with a good dispenser system, and with ingredients to help ensure stability. So far I have not experienced any problems or seen degradation of the product.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Trusted Contributor

Interestingly, I was just reading the Skin Actives December 2013 newsletter and they discussed Vit. C in some detail.

Here is the LINK to the newsletter. Scroll down to the bottom of the newsletter for the in-depth discussion about Vit. C.

The Skin Actives folks recommend using a Vit. C product every day but also state that their Vit. C serum should only be used once or twice a week because it is a low pH product (2.5 pH) and has exfoliation properties (probably why people with sensitive skin say they find the Skin Actives Vit. C serum to be irritating). They recommend using a less acidic Vit. C product with MAP in it for every day use, like their Collagen Serum. MAP is more stable in less acidic (higher pH) formulations and is less irritating to the skin for daily use.

They also state that the lower the pH of the Vit. C serum, the more stable it is. They say their Vit. C serum is stable for around six months if stored in the refrigerator.

So, if you're making a DIY Vit. C serum using L-ascorbic acid crystals, you need to make sure the pH of the solution is not higher than 3.5 or it will oxidize (according to the Skin Actives folks).

As near as I can tell, if you are using an L-ascorbic acid product, it's a balancing act between the pH of the product (how long it will be stable) and the irritation level your skin can tolerate.

Valued Contributor

After using the Philosophy vit. c powder I purchased L-ascorbic powder from Garden of Wisdom, which I would add on a daily basis to whatever serum I was using. After doing research I was concerned about the ph issue with DIY so I ordered the new vit. C serum from Paula's Choice. Since using the PC vit. C serum I have noticed a definite improvement in my skin therefore no more DIY vit C serum for me.

Honored Contributor

On 4/14/2014 jazzbabe said:

After using the Philosophy vit. c powder I purchased L-ascorbic powder from Garden of Wisdom, which I would add on a daily basis to whatever serum I was using. After doing research I was concerned about the ph issue with DIY so I ordered the new vit. C serum from Paula's Choice. Since using the PC vit. C serum I have noticed a definite improvement in my skin therefore no more DIY vit C serum for me.

jazzbabe, I wasn't DIY, but I'm seriously thinking of switching to PC's serum as well from my current one.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

On 4/15/2014 suzyQ3 said:

jazzbabe, I wasn't DIY, but I'm seriously thinking of switching to PC's serum as well from my current one.

Hmm...I might give PC C-Serum a try as well.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**Careful... I have caps lock and I am not afraid to use it.**
Honored Contributor

On 4/15/2014 croemer said:
On 4/15/2014 suzyQ3 said:

Hmm...I might give PC C-Serum a try as well.

I received an e-mail promo today from beauty.com for $15 off any $60 or more purchase. The PC Vitamin C serum is $45. It's not hard to find something else on the site to buy, plus you do get 5% back in store dollars.

Not trying to enable you or anything. Wink

ETA: Also, dermstore has a current promo for 20 percent off sitewide, and they carry Paula's Choice -- plus always free 1-3 day shipping.

Valued Contributor

I have never done the diy, but I got a sample of PTR's camu camu with an order from his website, and I do like it.