Honored Contributor

OT Blood thinners and bruising

I started on a blood thinner a week ago and I am bruising like crazy. I bruise easily to begin with now I am a mass of bruises, uggh I am so not a happy girl.

Any advice?

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Valued Contributor

Re: OT Blood thinners and bruising

Blood thinner will definitely make you bruise very easily. I was on them and, when I started a new job, my new coworkers were concerned that I was an abused woman, and actually went to my boss with their concerns. I would definitely keep an eye on it and watch any cuts, even paper cuts were really bad bleeding. Good luck with your medical health.

Trusted Contributor

Tell your doctor, He may want to order bloodwork. They can alter your dosages or change you to a different blood thinner with less bruising. Some people just can't tolerate them and must be maintained on aspirin. If you need blood thinners for atrial fibrillation, and you can't tolerate them-you may be a candidate for ablation.

Also, read the dietary restrictions about blood thinners. Vitamin K is the antidote for Coumadin overdose. Food with high levels of vitamin K can interfere with absorption. Green, leafy greens are the biggest culprits. Also, if you are on blood thinners and need surgery or dental work-you should tell the doctor, as you will be at risk for excessive bleeding.

Frequent Contributor

If you're on Coumadin, just be sure your physician monitors your PT/INR level to keep you on a therapeutic level...otherwise, just have to be careful.

Honored Contributor

You can try applying a cream that contains Arnica on the bruising. I have seen bruises just from taking Aleve or Advil.

Honored Contributor

I don't take any blood thinners and am in excellent health, but my body bruises very easily. It's probably genetic because the same is true of my mother and my sister. For 3-4 years now, I've been taking two supplements which have significantly reduced my bruising (maybe by 50-60%).

Glucosamine/Chondroitin is frequently recommended for people who have joint pain, but it can help a variety of tissues. For my purposes, it helps to make my veins and capillaries more flexible. With fewer "hard edges" they are less likely to get injured. It's like the difference between having a young twig gently bend versus having a dried out twig break (or a garden hose bend versus getting a kink in it). Make sure you purchase the more expensive Sulfate forms of these two products because those are the forms used in most of the research studies (the cheaper HCL form is useless).

Diosmin is another ingredient that has been used and studied in Europe for 40-50 years for its ability to improve overall circulation. As we age, our blood vessels begin to lose their tone. It's much like an old garden hose that bulges in places because the water pressure is too high. Diosmin can help tone the blood vessels, so that they are less likely to leak (i.e. brusie). I use an excellent diosmin product called circulation and vein support which is available through the procaps labs site. I also use their glucosamine & chondroitin product. I use them for most of my supplements; it's a top notch company. Today they are having their annual eye product on special and so there are some shows on the other shopping network. Because of this, all of their products have free shipping today. FYI, while I started to see results with the diosmin in a few weeks, it took 5 months for me to see the full results from the glucosamine/chondroitin.

Of course it should go without saying -- but I'll say it anyway -- that you should always check with your doctor first. That said, your doctor may never have even heard of diosmin. You can find more info about it by checking some of the top medical sites such as webmd, mayo clinic, or the US government's own National Institutes of Heath's pubmed dot gov.

Best of luck!!!

-- bebe Smile

Occasional Contributor

Be careful using Glucosamine/Chondroitin with Warfarin (Coumadin) if that is what you are taking. From WebMD:

Coumarin Anticoagulants/Glucosamine-Chondroitin

This information is generalized and not intended as specific medical advice. Consult your healthcare professional before taking or discontinuing any drug or commencing any course of treatment.

Medical warning:

Moderate. These medicines may cause some risk when taken together. Contact your healthcare professional (e.g. doctor or pharmacist) for more information.

How the interaction occurs:

Anticoagulants, glucosamine, and chondroitin all decrease your body's ability to make clots. When these medicines are taken together, their effects may be increased.

What might happen:

You may experience an increased chance for bleeding including bleeding from your gums, nosebleeds, unusual bruising, or dark stools

It is a good idea to discuss anything you take with your primary care practitioner. Herbal supplements are not controlled by the FDA, so many patients do not think of them as medications. In general, Warfarin interacts with many foods (green leafy vegetables high in Vitamin K) and other drugs. However, even at normal doses, Warfarin can cause easy bruising and bleeding. Take precautions. Shave with an electric razor, avoid contact sports, and make sure your health professional is aware of absolutely everything you take.

Take care. Cool

Trusted Contributor

I took coumadin for years. Bruising usually means your doseage is not correct. Tell your doctor. When on Warfarin/coumadin,you need to be conscious of how much vitamin K you eat. Any falls should also be reported to your doc. Take care.
Honored Contributor

My only experience with this issue was with my 98 year old grandmother, who took Coumadin after a hip replacement. She was living in a personal care home at the time we noticed the extreme bruising on her arms. When I checked with the medical provider, her blood was too thin, and the medication dosage was changed immediately. I also learned that her diet had not been restricted because of the Coumadin, and she and several other residents on the same blood thinner, were being fed leafy green vegetables twice a day. Best wishes to you and your health issue!

Super Contributor

I've been on warfarin for years. I do bruise much more easily, and paper cuts bleed more. But if you are bruising WITHOUT bumping into things, your dosage is probably off. Make a lab appointment pronto.