Respected Contributor

Ingredient listing protocol to change… Is this true?!

I was in Sephora yesterday (shocker) and was speaking with a Perricone rep. She was doing a heavy sell on the Chloro Mask. I mentioned I would take a look at ingredients and a discussion regarding ingredient decks ensued. She claimed that very soon all ingredients will be listed alphabetically on all products, not just Perricone, to make it easier for those with allergies to avoid their allergens. They will no longer be required to list via percentages.

She went on to say that percentages didn't really matter anyway. Yeah right. I want to spend $$$ on 98% dimethicone.

Anyway, has anyone else heard of this? I haven't researched anything yet.

Honored Contributor

Re: Ingredient listing protocol to change… Is this true?!

I sure hope not! That would be an AWFUL idea. And for her to say % don't really matter??? What kind of asinine statement is that??

Super Contributor

Hmmm...hadn't heard of that. She might be confusing it with the fact that anything that contains a medical-type ingredient (Ie salycilic acid, sunscreens, etc) do NOT have to list ingredients by order of percentage (other than the medical active) and some choose to do it alphabetically.

Trusted Contributor

I haven't read anything about FDA changes regarding labeling regulations for cosmetics/skincare. According to FDA.gov:

Ingredients. If the product is sold on a retail basis to consumers, even it it is labeled "For professional use only" or words to that effect, the ingredients must appear on an information panel, in descending order of predominance. [21 CFR 701.3]. Remember, if the product is also a d-rug its labeling must comply with the regulations for both OTC d-rug and cosmetic ingredient labeling, as stated above.
April 25, 2006; updated January 23, 2012. This document is current. Updates are made only as needed.
@(-_-)@ ~lyn~
Birman =^..^= Servant
Member since 04.2007

Respected Contributor

On 4/12/2014 HappyDaze said:

I sure hope not! That would be an AWFUL idea. And for her to say % don't really matter??? What kind of asinine statement is that??

I know, right! Almost always, I know more about ingredients than the reps touting the products these days.

Trusted Contributor

On 4/12/2014 Happy Elizabeth said:

Hmmm...hadn't heard of that. She might be confusing it with the fact that anything that contains a medical-type ingredient (Ie salycilic acid, sunscreens, etc) do NOT have to list ingredients by order of percentage (other than the medical active) and some choose to do it alphabetically.

I have never heard/read this. Can you please point me to the source of this information? Thanks!

ETA: just found the following info on FDA.gov...
How should products be labeled if they are both d-rugs and cosmetics? If a product is an over-the-counter (OTC) d-rug as well as a cosmetic, its labeling must comply with the regulations for both OTC d-rug and cosmetic ingredient labeling [21 CFR 701.3(d)]. The d-rug ingredients must appear according to the OTC d-rug labeling requirements [21 CFR 201.66(c)(2) and (d)] and the cosmetic ingredients must appear separately, in order of decreasing predominance [21 CFR 201.66(c)(8) and (d)]. Contact the Center for D-rug Evaluation and Research (CDER) for further information on d-rug labeling.

@(-_-)@ ~lyn~
Birman =^..^= Servant
Member since 04.2007

Super Contributor

On 4/12/2014 lyn in MI said:

I have never heard/read this. Can you please point me to the source of this information? Thanks!

It's somewhere on Beautypedia - need to find it. Paula has bashed several lines for listing ingredients alphabetically rather than by percentage. She said it's allowed (with dr@g products), but disappointing that certain brands do it. I noticed the blurb you posted was from 2012, so I'm wondering if Paula's stance was outdated.

Respected Contributor

It's somewhere on Beautypedia - need to find it. Paula has bashed several lines for listing ingredients alphabetically rather than by percentage. She said it's allowed, but disappointing that certain brands do it. I noticed the blurb you posted was from 2012, so I'm wondering if Paula's stance was outdated.

Maybe this is what Girl Wonder was referring to.

Esteemed Contributor

My Congressmen and I are on first name basis!

I would not like to see new listing like that take effect.

But as it is now, we are all in the dark re: percentages! Unless the good company chooses to reveal it. (Like Devita, et. al. did for me.)

Trusted Contributor

It's somewhere on Beautypedia - need to find it. Paula has bashed several lines for listing ingredients alphabetically rather than by percentage. She said it's allowed, but disappointing that certain brands do it. I noticed the blurb you posted was from 2012, so I'm wondering if Paula's stance was outdated.

Thanks, Happy Elizabeth. According to the FDA, if a company does not list cosmetic ingredients in descending order of prominence, that label violates FDA regulations.

ETA: possibly the info you read @ Beautipedia is outdated.
@(-_-)@ ~lyn~
Birman =^..^= Servant
Member since 04.2007